Sign in to follow this  
Guest jason2112

Which is better?

They're different. I don't think one is necessarilly better than the other....At most someone could tell you which is better for you if you tell them what you want to do with it.

Guest Satchmo

They are both excellent products.The Reality-XP version is a true panel, which means you can add it into your existing 2D panels...as well as your VC..which is just too cool :-kewl (if you're a panel hacker!)The FSAvionics version is a seperate module.Both units require the Garmin trainer program to run at the same time.This trainer program is a 16bit app and a real resource hog. From my experience the FSAvionics version appears to be less system intensive (If I pause the sim for 20 minutes with the Reality-XP version, when I come back the sim the PC has almost ground to a halt...not something I have noticed with the FSAvionics version).The next update of the FSAvionics version will also include weather radar!In all fairness, the FSGarmin was out the door first and initally had major problems...but these appear to have resolved (they mainly effected Win98 users). Reality XP are close behind, chasing down any problems encountered since their initial release.The support on both products is excellent. The only real problem I have encountered (and others have reported) is if you are an avid user of Gary Summons superb UK2000 Scenery. You cannot load a flight plan, or use the direct-to feature of the Reality-XP 530 if the UK 2000 scenery is enabled without the sim pausing every 1-2 seconds. Reality-XP are aware of this, this probably won't be patched in v1.1 but hopefully this will be resolved soon.Of course this issue effects the Flight1 Piper Meridian as well.HTHCheersSatchmo[link:jdtllc.com]http://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

One other thing implied by Satchmo but not stated overtly, but of great importance if you use WideFs, is that the FSAvionics version works very well across a network. This removes any issues of resource allocation and doesn't take up space on the main FS screen. I believe that Reality-XP have indicated that they're going to make this an option, but it's not there yet.I can run the G530, FlightMax, FSMeteo or ActiveSky, SB or Radar Contact plus a browser or ServInfo, on a second machine and leave the FS machine to FS. The FSAvionics G530 works extrememly will in this environment.AndyEGTR

Guest jason2112

I have to support the argument that the FSAvionics solution is more framerate friendly. I have tried the RealityXP demo, and it slowed down my machine noticeably. The FSGarmin, on the other hand, has no effect on my FPS, which really surprised me.Of course, the FSGarmin does not allow smooth scaling yet, they only offer the built-in sizes of 50%, 100%, 150% and 200% that are hard-coded in the trainer. RealityXP have the ability to adjust the size of their Garmin to your liking, but this has very negative on the readability - text becomes really blocky and ugly.I like the FSGarmin better, because the only advantage of the RealityXP version is the inclusion in the panel, which I don't like because the Garmin is way too small on the panel to be of any use for me.Just my 2c (EUR),VOlker :]

I have both and my only conclusion right now is: Can't say, both products are evolving and both in the edge of a new version. My best advice is check both products foruns. The only thing that I'm sure is that you will get top class costumer support from each one.my 0.02