Sign in to follow this  
Guest RonB49

what's the difference between alpha and beta?

Hello,As I was reading about the new version of FS, I understand that it is in alpha stage right now. But I want to know what is the difference between alpha and beta stage?What are the steps before final (gold copy)?Thanks!Brian

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

As I understand it, the alpha stage is still quite early in the development of a piece of software. The beta stage is practially complete.... usually sent out to independent testers (not always) on a last-minute search for bugs, anomalies, etc. I believe beta is the last step before going gold.-Lindy :-wave

I think that there isn't a precise definition. Usually I useAlpha - Developing new features and also testing with a select group;Beta - Getting the features right and openning to a wider group;Release candidate - When I think the program it's ok so there is a Code freeze unless a "show stopper" emerges, testing installerGold - Release versionJos

The computer hardware/software company that I worked for (before it went broke) defined the terms thus:o Alpha -- testing within our company's various offices,o Beta -- testing by selected outside companies (our customers).For MSFS, I'd expect that Alpha testing is done by Microsoft employees and Beta testing is done by consumers. R-