Sign in to follow this  
David Vega

ATC Controlled Approach

Guest iFLYrc

The default ATC in FS2002 takes over and vectors you in for a landing at the destination airport on flights created with MSFS Flight Planner. Is there any way to set the distance from the destination airport that this happens. Currently, the ATC seems to take over about 50 miles out from the airport. This cuts the flight plan short in most cases, especially if you have waypoints less than 50 miles from the airport.Thanks for your help.http://iflyrc.hypermart.net/Temp/Signature.jpgI'd Rather Be Flyin'

Check out the pros and cons of Radar Contact V3 in a review here and also the forum here. It offers many options and I prefer it to FS for most approaches.As far as the distance, I do not know if either takes into consideration the aircraft performance, but RC seems appropriate for the twin-turbos I normally emulate. In RC you can choose to take vectoring or use a published approach and follow a STAR and approach plate at your discretion. In case of a STAR, you would enter the waypoints in the plan. For an approach you would enter the waypoint for the IAF and choose to follow an IAP.

Guest iFLYrc

Sorry, but I'm not interested in purchasing more software at this time. I just want to make the default MsFS2002 work as good as possible. Thanks for the reply.Anyone else have any answers to setting the vector distance?[http://iflyrc.hypermart.net/Temp/Signature.jpgI'd Rather Be Flyin'

The theory to get around this is to acknowledge the handoff to approach, but do not subsequently CONTACT approach. That way they can't say anything to you or cancel your plan, then when you've descended and are ready for vectors contact approach. I haven't tried this so I'm not sure if it works.