Sign in to follow this  
Arklight1

Changing process/mobo. For your info!!

If there is someone thinking about changing their process( i.e from pentium to Amd and vice verse), which means that you also have to change your mobo, I have sad news to inform you!!There is no chance to change this without a new installation on your Windows O/S at least on XP Pro and XP home.I have tried this over and over again but always failed when trying to repair the old installation.I recently was told by a programmer at microsoft that it could happens that you succeed but the risk it that you got a lot of "blue screens". The reason why microsoft have done this is according to him to prevent users to use pirat copies. He also point out that it is only when you change your mobo.This is just for your information, if you wanted to knowRGDSSK985

Guest tcable

I have done an upgrade from an Older AMD to a KT400 mobo, and it is OK, not perfect (little things lik enot being able to shut down without powering off) I'd suggest doing a complete rebuild anyhow to avoid these types of issues. My father -in-law is doing an upgrade form a P3/500 to a P4 2.4 this weekend and that is waht I suggested that he do and all is going well so far.Tim

Actually, if you upgrade the processor and the mobo you should reformat whether or not you are switching from AMD to Intel and vice versa. Basically, if you are upgrading your mobo and processor you SHOULD reformat. Not doing so can sacrifice system stability.Especially on XP and Win2000.Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3