Sign in to follow this  
kiwikat

Just Flight/AH Mosquito

Though I believe Tom has written a well-rounded, but brief review, he is leaving out one of the biggest downfalls of the product. He reviews it in FSX but leaves out that it isn't actually a FSX product. Then he complains about the limitations of FSX's software in the summary? I don't think he has any basis to complain about the limitations of FSX when the aircraft isn't actually made with the FSX compiler. That's like buying a Ford Taurus from 1995 and expecting it to have features that a 2008 BMW has but then Ford complains that it is too difficult to build a BMW or can't do it at Taurus costs. Tough... people expect the good features nowadays, and most developers are delivering.It is also false advertising. Someone could come along and read the review and be misled into buying it because they think it might be a FSX model. That's a waste of 30 bucks right there. Portovers have distinct problems that make FSX-native aircraft better. Native things get MUCH better frame rates, take advantage of DX10 features, and have complete compatibility with SP2 and Acceleration. One of the pictures that shows the plane with clouds in the background has no propellers showing. I'm wondering if that is because the clouds are covering them? That's a big sign that it isn't a true FSX aircraft.I've been waiting for a time to bring it up on Avsim. I think it is time for reviewers that review FSX products to say whether they are ACTUALLY true FSX models or not. In fact, all reviewers everywhere should make this distinction. FSX has been around for 2 years now. Pretty much every major developer is producing true FSX products.One of the lead people over at the OTHER forum accused me of being in some conspiracy due to my affiliations, but I don't see why being concerned about people buying products that meet their expectations is wrong. I will not respond to any accusations here as this is the only public forum I visit anymore.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Guest Proflig8tor

Thanks for your review on my review. Your concerns about FSX native designs are noted and that is an important detail that I will include in subsequent reviews. My observation about the limitations of FSX were not specific to modeling this aircraft, but the fact that the Mosquito lends itself much better to a combat sim. The variations of armament the model's designers included would make this model a hoot to use making things go ka-boom!In the picture you reference, the propellers are visible in the sim. During the process of going from screen capture, reformatting, and re-sizing many details were lost. I apologize, but those pictures more reflect a limitation of my photo editing software and the way reviews are sent in for AvSim's use.This model in its many variations did not impact my frame rates (and my system is two years past being cutting edge). Other complex models have caused my system to crash to desktop. The Mosquito was the most stable product I've ever loaded with zero problems.I did not intend to write a puff piece, but there just wasn't anything to criticise about the product. Please don't get me started on the load of crap new BMW's are. My wife had one and I forbade ever buying another German car after its litany of blinking lights and $2,500 service visits. My airport vehicle, a Ford Ranger, has 275,000 miles on it and has NEVER broken down. One useful addition would be some real life missions to fly. The pictures taken over the German government buildings were one flight that I flew based on a history book that is in my library. Right aircraft, right place, right time. The recon missions would be easy to set up this way with the goal of finding some sort of historically accurate Easter Egg.Tom

Thanks for the quick reply. I think this is something that all Avsim reviewers should do for FSX products. It has been 2 years since FSX came out. There's no reason for developers not to put out true FSX models anymore :)I'll definitely be picking this one up if they make a true FSX version of it.Kiwikat

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

There is a separate review coming about the FS9 version of this title.