Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Blackbird Avionics

Avsim SR-71 Blackbird review

I'd just like to correct Jeff on his review of the SR-71 Blackbird. He made a comment about the amount of blood on the edge of the forward canopy. This wasn't blood in reality. It was a combination of paint and high temp rtv compound we used when we did maintenance. Although there were spots on the canopy where you could cut yourself, I never saw blood where Jeff made his comments. Just a little insight from the real world of skunk works.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If there's one thing that doing the series of reviews around the SR-71 has accomplished, is that I have way more bits of trivia that have to do with this remarkable aircraft than I would have thought possible.I have to say, Yippee!! because really, a large part of my life has been in the pursuit and collection of really exotic trivia. Another thing I have learned was that there is no such thing as a truly trivial piece on an SR-71. Every single bit on that jet that I could find has been researched, re-tooled, and re-engineered to the finest degree. Considering the Blackbird's unique flight profile, everything has to work properly, and there is very little margin for error. So it does not surprise me that even the cockpit paint has a story behind it. Thank you very much for adding to the lore of the Blackbird!To me, on the AlphaSim model, I see a few small texturing errors that I thought were worth mentioning. Really, the part that looks like blood looks to me like "pixel bleed", where the texture does not match up exactly with the model, and so gets stretched along one of the surfaces. "RTV" is new to me, so I looked it up: Room Temperature Vulcanization. This looks to be a process of creating rubberized product using silicone and chemical agents instead of high heat. From what I can tell, RTV compounds can withstand incredibly high temperatures. Not long ago, I heard from another knowledgeable AVSIM reader who was able to explain the bunker-shaped building at the end of AlphaSim's Beale AFB model. The short story was that it used to be a bunker and ready room for the B-52 crews. That small building would be "home" for crews who were on 24-hour ready status, for what I am told would be shifts of two weeks at a time. The BUFF's (B-52's) would be parked just outside. I am hoping to learn more! The SR-71 is what I would consider an aviation icon. Yet regardless of its fame, people know little about what this airplane was all about, or even get it confused with a fictional Macross aircraft. Despite the de-classification of the flight manual and other operational elements of the SENIOR CROWN program, it seems that all of these details are quickly getting buried and lost in the sands of time. Not that the SR-71 is the happiest, most pleasant aircraft ever invented -- it was a weapon of the Cold War -- but even so, I think it deserves to be preserved in the finest archival form we can find. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Thanks for your correction.I had a close freind who used to fly as 'systems officer' to Dan House a Major Blair Bozek, I hope he is well?