Sign in to follow this  
Justin Toposim

Installing mesh scenery

Guest RiddlePilot

I've become interested in flying places other than the east coast of the US. I found the nice freeware Hawaii airports here in the library, and noticed at PHTO, there's a cliff about 3-4 miles off the departure end of a runway (can't remember the number), but its got the water running up the side of the cliff. So I set in search of mesh terrain to fix this, and found the Maxx and Sotomayor. I tried to follow the instructons of extracting the files to addon scenery/scenery, but that folder didn't exist for me. So I made it, and started up FS, and it ran the scenery set-up process before loading the main menu. I went to PHTO again, and the cliff was still messed up. I've tried installing the .bgl's in many different directories and adding them to the scenery library, but nothing seems to activate them.Can someone help me, so I can see the islands in their true glory.

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Travis,I've only checked the area briefly, but I don't see the cliff you are referring to, either in the default mesh or my own 10m mesh for the island. Perhaps you can provide the exact coordinates, or a screenshot with the coordinates at the top of the screen. >I tried to follow the instructons of extracting the files to>addon scenery/scenery, but that folder didn't exist for me.This folder is created when FS2002 is installed. What version of the sim are you using?>So I made it, and started up FS, and it ran the scenery>set-up process before loading the main menu.In FS2002, this area is active by default. But since you've successfully created the folder and added it in the Scenery File menu, you should still be ok.There are several possible issues involved here.1) Simply adding higher resolution mesh may not solve the problem.2) The area near the airport is not very rugged and the default mesh is pretty good. Have you taken screenshots (preferably in a more rugged area of the island) to confirm that the 30m addon mesh is not being used? Mesh is easy to install and I see no obvious problem with your approach, but it is worth checking again.3) It is possible that the addon airport scenery is causing the problem. Do you still have the cliff with that scenery disabled? If not, you may want to contact the airport scenery developer for help.4) There may be a problem with the way the mesh was constructed, but you should determine if the cliff still exists in the default mesh with the airport scenery disabled before exploring this possibility.5) This is probably not an issue at this location, but something you should be aware of while exploring the rest of the areas covered by the mesh you are using. Boundaries between addon and default mesh can create artificial cliffs, especially in rugged terrain where the differences in elevation may be significant. I have not loaded the mmaxx mesh, but I did look at it with TMFViewer and he does cover that side of the island completely. However, he has missed a bit of the terrain on the other three sides of Hawaii and much more elsewhere: the eastern 1/3 of Kauai, the western 1/2 of Niihau and 3/4 of Molokai are all still default mesh. Orlando's mesh left out just a bit of the northern coast of Oahu.These omissions will probably create artificial cliffs at some points along the edges of the addon mesh in these areas. Stevewww.fs-traveler.com

Guest RiddlePilot

I tried deactivating the Hilo scenery, but things were still the same. Included is a screenshot of sitting on runway 8 and Hilo Intl looking inland. The second is my file setup. I've extracted the 5 bgl's (4 from Maxx's, 1 from Stotomayer's) into c:...addon sceneryscenery.Also, I've checked Honolulu, but the rugged mountains look the same with or without the mesh installed to the above directory.

HI RiddlePilot,That is the result of the grossly inaccurate default shorelines. Nothing to be done about it until the shorelines are either fixed or replaced with more accuarate ones. They're off by several hundred meters in that particular area.Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.net

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Guest RiddlePilot

So even with the mesh correctly installed I'll still be seeing this? I am seeing absolutley NO difference in any contours of the mountains on any other part of the island(s) with or without the mesh installed (or at least I think it's installed).

The easiest thing is to just put the mesh files inscenedbworldsceneryThat way you can be assured that the sim is using the files without fiddling around the with scenery library.If you still see no difference, either the terrain mesh files you've installed aren't of any higher resolution that the default terrain, or they are so high they aren't showing up because your TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX setting in fs2002.cfg isn't 20 or above.But either way, you're going to see that cliff there, since it is not terrain-related, but shoreline-related.Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.net

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net