Sign in to follow this  

#5 RTW Race Thread #5

I'll probably be asleep by then....

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

OK guys. You are all old hands so we can sort this out.Maybe let Uwe take the quick trip WITT-VOCX in the Meridian. Fast. (Also, Uwe has not flown a leg yet--so we should make a special place for him.)Then Jeroen go the long route in the Starship: VOCX-VCBI.Then StoneCold get that P-38 set downloaded and tested. Head out from Sri Lanka and show us what that plane can do!What do you three think?MikePS. Where are you located? StoneCold? Jeroen? Uwe? (Just asking to anticipate people's sleep and work schedules.) I'm in North Carolina, USA.PS. I'm 30 miles out and need to concentrate on getting the Cheyenne down safely. M.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

OK, you take this one and I'll fly on from there to Mangalore (VOML)

I don't know if I'll be awake, or able to fly by that time, but I can at least try......But, I'd agree that we should let Uwe take the next leg, since I've already done 3 legs, I don't know how many Jeroen has flown....I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.And I'm Dave, btw. :)

Sounds good to me.I'm in the Netherlands, GMT+1. Will be available to about 2200GMT (and maybe longer if I don't fall asleep at my keyboard :-lol).

Guys, As you are all aware, we're a bit behind due to several reasons. but FS still has a difficult problem to solve to go to South America and i believe that we have a more easy task on this end half of the race. Nevertheless we need to be alert and coordinated, and i believe that we are managing this perfectly. On this thread i'd just like to launch some thoughts on which would be the fastest plane around who complies with the rules... The default King Air has been a great help, with around 300 Kts GS, the Beech Starship is indeed a bit faster and surpisingly (or maybe not) the P-38 is really racin' with 400 Kts. But is there anything faster ? Not worried much about range now, as any plane has fuel for 2 hours... but which one can make these two hours worth more on our recovery ?Feel free to drop a line on this.RegardsFrancisco Leit

Guest UweR

Same as Jeroen here, GMT +1 (Hannover, Germany).As the King Air performs better, no problem. I park and switch. That way StoneCold could maybe take the next leg and Jeroen the one after that to "make some miles".Cheers, Uwe

Grumman Bearcat might have more speed, or a Twin Mustang.Piper made a turbine powered Mustang in the 1980s, never sold it though.That thing has a VNe of 350 knots indicated but only about an hour endurance at that speed :-)Cheyenne is a better contender with the same speed and over 1000nm range (so you can fly with less fuel, making it even faster).According to Jane's, the Starship beats them all with an IAS of 365 knots max and a range of over 2500nm without passengers (the Abacus one does about 1500nm so is partially loaded).

All,I'm down at WITT. (It just started to rain!)Who is next? Uwe are you there?Pictoral confirmation to follow shortly.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Hi you all!Just wanted to let you know I'll be at home at 15.00 Zulu and I am able to fly some legs till 24.00 Zulu.I've polished my FSD Piper Cheyenne 400, with a cruise speed of 330, max range to fly 1800 nm., depending the weather!!So I will pop up as soon as I'm home and see if you need assistance.Regards Johan van WijngaardenEHAM

Guest UweR

More in a few minutes, UweEdit: Approaching cruise level, only slight headwind component, ETE of about an hour, should arrive at CN somewhere around 14.00 GMT. Ground speed 248 knots. Don

WMKK-WITT (Kuala Lumpur-Aceh)410 nm. ETE 1:51Uneventful flight--though I did almost descend into the mountains as the haze was so thick.Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Hi Johan. Can you take it from VCBI to VOML (Mangalore, India) after me?

Uwe,VOCX is a non-precision approach (that is with an NDB). 7500 ft runway. But it is getting darker as I stand on the apron (!) so you will want to be careful about landing here in the dark.Good luck.And great to have you on the team.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Not going to be able to stay awake long enough to wait for a leg and fly it..... Just about to fall asleep at the keyboard..... (We need a sleeping smiley......)So, I'll be back around 9:00pm CST (03:00am GMT) to try and grab another leg.....Until then, keep the baton moving! :)