Sign in to follow this  

#5 RTW Race Thread #5

Guest Matt Johnson

The race continues here. The baton is currently in the hands of Mike (MM), headed for WITT out of WMKK.This excellent map was created by Matt Johnson to illustrate the race progress of both teams. http://www.avsim.com/~mattj/map/NOTICE TO AIRMEN #1: Make sure you reply to this post when you make your I HAVE THE BATON post. Thank You.NOTICE TO AIRMEN #2: Please refrain from making flight reservations. Others want to join in on the race, and it is unfair to them because they feel they can not take the baton once the most recent LANDING post has been made because they do not want to take it from someone who has "claimed the next leg." If you get the baton before anyone else, then it's your and you can fly the next leg.NOTICE TO AIRMEN #3: Pilots who are taking the baton do not have to fly to the airport suggested by another pilot. It is a good idea to fly as far as you can in the two hours, but there are no predesignated destinations. Fly as far as you can in the two hours in the general direction TEAM AVSIM is flying.NOTICE TO AIRMEN #4: Try to limit the number of screenshots and posts you make regarding one leg of the race to reduce clutter. Edit your posts as necessary.NOTICE TO AIRMEN #5: The "Two Hour Rule" is a strict guideline! If you are not going to make your destination within two hours, you must divert to an airport which you will land at within (or just after) your two hour flight time. You should post after two hours having taken the baton (if you've not already landed).---------------------------------------------The flightsim thread is located here:http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/DC...ID10/36831.htmlKeep it moving guys!THE RULESObjective:To be the first forum to successfully complete (and authenticate) a series of flights around the world. It

Guest Matt Johnson

Bringing some info over from the other thread...The current "plan" (not binding... if you're the pilot, you can choose where you want to go...) is to go to the tip of Sumatra at WITT, and then jump the Indian Ocean by flying WITT-VOCX-VCBI.For Europe, contact should be made with the mainland, so someplace in Italy would be good to touch instead of Malta or Crete.Remember that Iraq is a no-fly-zone.I am looking after the AVSIM side of the race for Matt Smith, so I'll endeavour to answer any questions as necessary. Remember, this is fun ;-)--M

I'm not "reserving" a flight, but I'll start preflighting at WITT when this plane finishes downloading (should have time for a quick pattern and a touch-and-go for a test flight...)

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

All,(Repeating from earlier version of the thread. We have developed informal procedures so that we can catch up with Flightsim.com who got about 2,500 miles head start and, alas, are flying West to East with the prevailing winds.)Here are some suggested procedures for the Ready Room.We do need to sort out who will fly each leg before the previous pilot lands. We seem to have handled this amicably so far by talking it through. (Please work this out well before the next flight.)In order to work on our "baton handoff", how about having the next pilot sitting on the tarmac, engines ticking over, with flightplan loaded and ready to go. At about 10 minutes before the ETA, the "ready pilot" signals to the forum that he's poised for action.At the same time, the landing pilot signals that he's in approach and gives a firmer ETA. The "ready pilot" can confirm.Once the prior pilot lands, the new carrier signals via the forum that he's off. (For the next leg's planning, the new pilot should give the destination and ETA and perhaps his aircraft.)We just want to confirm that the ready pilot is about to take off--so that we don't fumble any handoffs. We might even have a backup "ready pilot" so that we can keep moving even if the first one in line has a Real World disaster.Now all this is meant to be fun--these suggestions are designed to maximize our enjoyment. So if something seems wrong, just do the right thing. :-)Everything is informal. There are no reservations for flights. And each pilot picks his/her own routes.Let's enjoy the ride.Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

StoneCold,Glad to see you again. Can you take it all the way to Sri Lanka? That's a long trip and I forget which plane you're using.Still about 45 minutes out.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest Matt Johnson

The race is very close right now... check the map.FS.Com still have to hit Australia and South America... the only way they are going to get to Oz is via the Indonesian chain which we have just come up.Both teams will cross in the next few hours, and it's more or less even. Team AVSIM needs to keep hauling... :)--M

Just to tidy up the thread sequence. We have adopted the practice of starting a separate subthread for each leg.In the air with ETE about 45 minutes.Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I'm available as of this time, whereever needed.Using a Beech Starship, range over 1000nm at 330+ groundspeed.Will take up position at WITT now in case StoneCold can't fly, else move on to VCBI for the next leg.Will be flying online as TCA2887.What's the ETA at WITT?

StoneCold and Jeroen,Let's move this discussion to the thread below--set up for this WMKK-WITT leg. (Still 40 minutes away--add some time for landing.)Good to have you two here.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Jeroen and StoneCold,We need to get over to Sri Lanka--a long flight. So you two might discuss how best to get there.BTW. Reading Matt Smith's planning for the Flightsim team, it seems that they are going to look for a long-range ATR-42 so that they can cross the Pacific. Looks like our question about setting up long hops is answered by Matt. We should take these over-the-water shortcuts as long as our aircraft can manage the tasks.Update: Have run into headwinds--so may be a bit longer than expected.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I've just been using whatever aircraft I've felt like... The default Baron58, the B307 Stratoliner and yesterday the Convair CV580.....Currently downloading dcc's P38 triple play package for this flight.....wonder if I'll have time for that test flight......

Guest UweR

Just in case a backup is needed, I stand by as well. I fly the pattern at WITT in the Meridian to warm up. Flightplan and weather is loaded, ETE would be around 1.30 in this bird (WITT - CN - VOCX). This would be the only flight I could take, about to head off for a long weekend with the GF. Not whining though :-)Best Regards, Uwe

My plane has both speed and range, should make the 900nm to Sri Lanka in about 3 hours I think with fuel to spare.StoneCold can then take it over India towards VABB (or in the general direction, VCBI-VABB is too long for one hop within the rules) from where I can then take it into Arabia.I've heard about that ATR. It's a hacked FDE that has very long range and does something like 400 knots. Should be ruled out for lack of realism...

Ok, how about my ATR42-500.. :)

As a refresh of where any plan might lead, here's a repost of the plan yesterday. Will not match reality, but good for those following along and planning ahead (generated with P-51D). Some of the trips are a bit long, so again, will not look like this at the end:

Waypoints	   Route  Alt	Hdg	Leg Dist GS	Fuel	Time off WITT			-D->   25000  312	 751.1   389   405.5   1:55  VCBI			-D->   25000  278	 931.5   389   502.9   2:23  VABB			-D->   25000  333	 823.4   382   452.5   2:09  OOMS			-D->   25000  292	 858.0   378   476.4   2:15  OEPA			-D->   25000  295	 714.2   388   386.7   1:50  LLRD			-D->   25000  294	 621.9   373   350.1   1:39  LGTL			-D->   25000  287	 513.2   388   277.5   1:19  LMML			-D->   25000  275	 531.0   393   283.6   1:20  DAUG			-D->   25000  251	 569.5   388   308.2   1:27  GMAD			-D->   25000  265	 687.6   378   382.1   1:49  GQNN			-D->   25000  213	 815.7   387   442.4   2:06  GVAC			-D->   25000  269	 408.8   396   217.0   1:01  SNIA			-D->   25000  249	1810.1   399   951.7   4:31  SYCJ			-D->   25000  324	 785.3   389   424.0   2:01  TFFR			-D->   25000  356	 617.0   389   333.1   1:35  MYEF			-D->   25000  313	 919.4   392   491.9   2:20  KMYR			-D->   25000  351	 627.9   392   336.1   1:35  KBOS			-D->   25000  039	 641.1   387   348.1   1:39 									 -------				----- 									 13626.7				34.54

Elrond