Sign in to follow this  
StoneC0ld

#6 RTW Race Thread #6

The race continues here. The baton is currently in the hands of Johan van Wijngaarden, headed for VABB out of VCBI.This excellent map was created by Matt Johnson to illustrate the race progress of both teams. http://www.avsim.com/~mattj/map/NOTICE TO AIRMEN #1: Make sure you reply to this post when you make your I HAVE THE BATON post. Thank You.NOTICE TO AIRMEN #2: Please refrain from making flight reservations. Others want to join in on the race, and it is unfair to them because they feel they can not take the baton once the most recent LANDING post has been made because they do not want to take it from someone who has "claimed the next leg." If you get the baton before anyone else, then it's your and you can fly the next leg.NOTICE TO AIRMEN #3: Pilots who are taking the baton do not have to fly to the airport suggested by another pilot. It is a good idea to fly as far as you can in the two hours, but there are no predesignated destinations. Fly as far as you can in the two hours in the general direction TEAM AVSIM is flying.NOTICE TO AIRMEN #4: Try to limit the number of screenshots and posts you make regarding one leg of the race to reduce clutter. Edit your posts as necessary.NOTICE TO AIRMEN #5: The "Two Hour Rule" is a strict guideline! If you are not going to make your destination within two hours, you must divert to an airport which you will land at within (or just after) your two hour flight time. You should post after two hours having taken the baton (if you've not already landed).---------------------------------------------The flightsim thread is located here:http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/DC...ID10/36831.htmlKeep it moving guys!THE RULESObjective:To be the first forum to successfully complete (and authenticate) a series of flights around the world. It

Copying this provisionary plan from the old thread:As a refresh of where any plan might lead, here's a repost of the plan yesterday. Will not match reality, but good for those following along and planning ahead (generated with P-51D). Some of the trips are a bit long, so again, will not look like this at the end: Waypoints Route Alt Hdg Leg Dist GS Fuel Time off VABB -D-> 25000 333 823.4 382 452.5 2:09 OOMS -D-> 25000 292 858.0 378 476.4 2:15 OEPA -D-> 25000 295 714.2 388 386.7 1:50 LLRD -D-> 25000 294 621.9 373 350.1 1:39 LGTL -D-> 25000 287 513.2 388 277.5 1:19 LMML -D-> 25000 275 531.0 393 283.6 1:20 DAUG -D-> 25000 251 569.5 388 308.2 1:27 GMAD -D-> 25000 265 687.6 378 382.1 1:49 GQNN -D-> 25000 213 815.7 387 442.4 2:06 GVAC -D-> 25000 269 408.8 396 217.0 1:01 SNIA -D-> 25000 249 1810.1 399 951.7 4:31 SYCJ -D-> 25000 324 785.3 389 424.0 2:01 TFFR -D-> 25000 356 617.0 389 333.1 1:35 MYEF -D-> 25000 313 919.4 392 491.9 2:20 KMYR -D-> 25000 351 627.9 392 336.1 1:35 KBOS -D-> 25000 039 641.1 387 348.1 1:39 ------- ----- 13626.7 34.54 Elrond

All,(Repeating from earlier version of the thread. We have developed informal procedures so that we can catch up with Flightsim.com who got about 2,500 miles head start and, alas, are flying West to East with the prevailing winds.)Here are some suggested procedures for the Ready Room.We do need to sort out who will fly each leg before the previous pilot lands. We seem to have handled this amicably so far by talking it through. (Please work this out well before the next flight.)In order to work on our "baton handoff", how about having the next pilot sitting on the tarmac, engines ticking over, with flightplan loaded and ready to go. At about 10 minutes before the ETA, the "ready pilot" signals to the forum that he's poised for action.At the same time, the landing pilot signals that he's in approach and gives a firmer ETA. The "ready pilot" can confirm.Once the prior pilot lands, the new carrier signals via the forum that he's off. (For the next leg's planning, the new pilot should give the destination and ETA and perhaps his aircraft.)We just want to confirm that the ready pilot is about to take off--so that we don't fumble any handoffs. We might even have a backup "ready pilot" so that we can keep moving even if the first one in line has a Real World disaster.Now all this is meant to be fun--these suggestions are designed to maximize our enjoyment. So if something seems wrong, just do the right thing. :-)Everything is informal. There are no reservations for flights. And each pilot picks his/her own routes.Let's enjoy the ride.Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I am at TOD in 4 minutes.Expect my arrival within 30 minutes, which will be 1950Zulu.Who is going to take over??Johan

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I'm on the ramp awaiting your arrival.Best use the ILS 27, winds are 250 at 8.

Johan has handed me the baton, I'm preparing for takeoff now.Expect 2-3 hours depending on winds.Provisional ETA 2300Z.On VATSIM again as TCA2887.

Jeroen, go for it!When you get settled down at cruise, let us know how things look in terms of ETA.Good to have this long leg in your hands.Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Finished the flight.Maybe some more work to do??I'll keep myself updated.Johan

Hi Guys, If no one else is available or volunteers, i guess i can be ready around 2230z or 2300z (depending on Jeroen's ETA) to take our King Air along the coastline right to OERM (Ras Al Mishab) in the United Arab Emirates... Let's see how it goesRegardsFrancisco Leit

I don't mind to fly another as well!!Just let me know.Johan

Update: Meeting some excellent tailwinds at last, groundspeed now at almost 400 knots.ETA now 22:30Z instead of 2300.OK people. One hour out, replacement pilots start your preflight checks (I hope you're in position?).

Guest Matt Johnson

Here's the update post I just made on the other forum: It's pretty close! Team FS.Com have yet to touch Australia and South America. Their current plans are to hit Australia; they're currently in Indonesia on a very small island strip, Swallow Reef ("Z24E" according to FS2002). Once into Australia, they plan a crossing over the South Pacific to South America, and then back up to Boston. Come on, Team FS.Com! We want a race here! Team AVSIM hit Australia early this morning Zulu time, and is now racing west across Asia. Their last touchdown point was in India, and they are enroute to Oman, planning to cross the Middle East and straddle Africa and Europe. After that, they need to cross the Atlantic -- the current plan is the "shortest point" crossing from Africa to South America -- and then race up to Boston. It's going to be a tight race -- let's keep those batons moving!Since this post, FS.Com have just taken the baton from Z24E and are enroute to Brunei -- they've not made Australia yet! Keep going, guys!Because a couple of people missed posting their GPS traces, I granted a stipulation to FS.Com to move their baton forward to Z24E (one flight which they made which didn't get authenticated).Please, everyone, remember to post your GPS traces from now on!