Sign in to follow this  
Guest ricstngr

How do I use ILS/VOR Naviagtion?

Guest ricstngr

Congratulations on a super project. I am having a great time learning how to fly this aircraft. The only major problem I have encounterd is in using VOR or ILS.If I have filed an IFR flight plan, the autopilot will follow it when I select 'VOR LOC', but when I want to make an ILS approach, I can't. The autopilot will only respond to the filed flight plan when I select 'VOR LOC' or 'AUTO APP'. The VOR needle will not rotate to agree with the ILS approach course I input. The ILS function works fine if I have not previously filed an IFR flight plan.Is there a control hidden somewhere to switch the function of the autopilot from GPS to NAV?Please help.

Guest speedbird591

If you are flying towards a VOR at an airport, that VOR frequency would be entered into your Nav 1 radio and the autopilot would follow that beam direct to the VOR when switched to VOR/LOC.To follow an ILS approach you would need to reprogram Nav 1 with the frequency for the ILS of the runway on which you are landing. You would also need to set the 'course' bug on the compass to the runway heading. The compass will then show you the aircraft heading in relation to the runway heading. As you approach the ILS beam at around 45 degrees, and below the glide slope, select VOR/LOC for the autopilot to lock on to the beam. As you approach the glide slope, from below, select 'auto app' and the autopilot will intercept the glide slope and fly you down the beam to the threshold. All you have to do is reduce the speed, lower the gear and the flaps. Disengage the autopilot at around 1000 feet and land manually.Ian

Guest ricstngr

Thank you for your response to my question. I know how to fly using VOR or ILS. Your model performs these functions for me, BUT ONLY IF I HAVE NOT FILED AN IFR FLIGHT PLAN.Most FS panels are equipped with a GPS/NAV switch. With a flight plan filed, selecting the Tinmouse VOR/LOC appears to slave the autopilot to the GPS as though I had used a 'GPS/NAV' switch to select GPS. DOES YOUR PANEL HAVE A SIMILAR SWITCH?When ATC instructs me to depart from the filed plan and vectors me to an ILS approach, the Tinmouse panel behaves as if it is still slaved to the GPS. ie: When I tune the correct frequency for the ILS localizer on Nav 1, the DME works correctly. The glide slope indicator works correctly. But the course arrow on the compass does not rotate to agree with the course I select in the top right window. It remains on a leg of the filed flight plan. Engaging 'auto app' or VOR/LOC causes the aircraft to turn away from the approach and try to fly back to the filed flight plan.I know how to navigate using VOR or make an ILS landing using other FS panels. What I need to know is how to make your panel allow me to do the same. Your project is so much fun to fly, it is very frustrating not to be able to land using ILS.

Guest RonB49

I cheated and added the GPS/NAV switch from the default B737-400 panel to the TinMouse panel. It may not be prototypical of a 737-200 but it makes life easier for me. R-

Guest Tim W

Well I was watching an old cockpit video I have today of a Royal Airlines 737-200 flying Toronto - West Palm Beach - Ft Meyers-Toronto and they had a GPS on board instead of an INS. So I was wondering, if you get routed by ATC to a waypoint fix that isnt in your INS flightplan, how do you enter that into the CIVA? It happened to them so they just put it into the GPS, it's not explained in the CIVA tutorial I was flying last night.Cheershttp://members.chello.nl/t.westnutt/realair.gif

Some terminal waypoints have their coords printed on the chart...but generally, if you're not RNAV equipped you aren't obligated to take a clearance to a fix you are unable to properly identify. You'd ask for radar vectors, or absent radar coverage, a different clearance.I'm currently testing some panel mods that integrate the RealityXP GNS units. I can't find any r/w examples of a B732 with a Garmin installed, but the 430 is close enough to the KLN-90s that I do know are on some 737s. I wanted a fairly full-featured unit that can accept a flight plan on the fly, and the RXP units are the only game in town for now. I don't feel I've run so far afoul as to warrant a visit from the realism police. ;-)CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest Tim W

>Some terminal waypoints have their coords printed on the>chart...but generally, if you're not RNAV equipped you aren't>obligated to take a clearance to a fix you are unable to>properly identify. You'd ask for radar vectors, or absent>radar coverage, a different clearance.>>I'm currently testing some panel mods that integrate the>RealityXP GNS units. I can't find any r/w examples of a B732>with a Garmin installed, but the 430 is close enough to the>KLN-90s that I do know are on some 737s. I wanted a fairly>full-featured unit that can accept a flight plan on the fly,>and the RXP units are the only game in town for now. >>I don't feel I've run so far afoul as to warrant a visit from>the realism police. ;-)>>Cheers>>Bob Scott>ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300>Santiago de Chile>Thats good news Bob! I don't think you will fall foul of the realism police either! Let me know which one you are going to use and I'll buy it, I have the 430 but mine came with the Dreamfleet A36 and Cherokee 180 and a 530 that came with the Baron. I dont know which GPS they were using in the Roayl video, I dont remember them showing it, they just mentioned it but I'll have another lookI have the Weather radar and a TCAS installed now so my 732 is looking really good!I understand about the fix, thanks.I love the way the CWS works on the panel. pretty much as I remember in the Sim (I flew on in the United sim at the Avsim conference in Denver a few years ago)Cheers and keep up the good work!http://members.chello.nl/t.westnutt/realair.gif

Guest ricstngr

Yes, the default GPS/NAV swtich would be nice. However, that was not my actual question. The ILS stops functioning correctly whenever I have filed an IFR flight plan. Does anyone out there know what I am doing wrong?

Guest Bill Hinton

Two questions:1. What is your fligt plan?2. On which runway are you trying to land?

Guest ricstngr

1. Every IFR flight plan I have made using the default FS9 interface and the TinMouse panel. This has occured with flight plans to and from a variety of airports. It is not restricted to a particular flight plan. The problem has not happened with other add on panels.2. Again, this has occured every time I have made a default FS9 flight plan to different airports. It is not specific to a particular runway.Let me restate that the problem does not occur if I have not made a flight plan. I have successful flown using VOR to navigate and ILS to land without a flight plan logged with FS9.

>1. Every IFR flight plan I have made using the default FS9>interface and the TinMouse panel. This has occured with flight>plans to and from a variety of airports. It is not restricted>to a particular flight plan. The problem has not happened with>other add on panels.>OK, I'm completely confused by what it is you're trying to do. The default GPS is not supported in the TinMouse II, so I have no idea what filing a flight plan in the default FS will do for you.I believe it's possible to assign a hot-key in FS to the GPS-NAV switch, in which case you could switch it back to nav with that. If you have the registered FSUIPC you should be able to assign a key or a button through the FSUIPC interface as well.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case