Sign in to follow this  
Guest Daniel42

The support forum for my addon is becoming a SimConnect...

Guest Daniel42

I just looked through the messages posted on the support forum for my add-on and realized that most of the time my business is helping people getting their SimConnect working.Okay, probably 90% of my customers never make it to the board, but most of the issues reported are related to SimConnect, some of the things I've encountered:- People with SP1 installed, but no SP1 SimConnect.dll in the SXS folder- People with SP1, DLL present, still getting the missing 'assembly exception'. I myself ran into this one too after uninstalling FSX+SP1 and doing a fresh FSX+Acceleration install.- Working SimConnect connections, but my client does not receive the key events nor exceptions indicating something is wrong when I register for the events.The first two are usually solved by reinstalling SP1/SP2 or Acceleration, or, if the user has the deluxe version, running the SimConnect.msi SP1 installer from the SDK.The third one has been uncommon so far (About 1% of my customers). In one case the keys did work before take-off, but not after landing.I already found out that setting the process priority of FSX above normal is the wrong thing to do if you have SimConnect.exe clients running at lower priorities, but this was not the problem for my customers.I'm considering closing the forum and setting up a tell_daniel@simconnect.nl mail address ;)Daniel

Hi Daniel,Welcome to my world! The most common MyTrafficBoard problem is the SimConnect RTM assembly missing (that's my current pre-req). So far, 100% I beleive, that is fixed by installing the client from the SDK. Not sure what we'll do when a standard edition customer comes along. Reinstall FSX I guess.Can I tell my customers to use "tell_daniel" too ;-)Simon

Guest Daniel42

:)A new one today:For one user my add-on receives the keypress not once, but 26 times. Still trying to find out if FSX, Windows or SimConnect is repeating the keys or maybe the user has heavy fingers (or sticky keys :()Meanwhile, for the user who did not receive any key event at all, I'm now trying out the TAB+(reserved key) method of SimConnect.As far as users with FSX Standard go, so far I have not had one of those with a SC problem, so may be the problem is somehow related to the SDK being installed/used or not.Daniel

Yeah, us developers need to get together and share our Simconnect fixes.One thing I found in the situation of a service pack being installed but the Simconnect version being a lower version (for example: SP2 installed but Simconnect is SP1 version) is to have the customer run Simconnect.msi from the SDK of the SP version they have installed. This will contain the version of Simconnect based on the SP installed. This assumes they install the SDK. I believe you could provide them the Simconnect.msi of the version of Simconnect you are trying to get them to without having the SDK installed, but I have not tried that yet.gapalp

Guest Daniel42

Switching to the GetReservedKey method solved both problems: no more repeats and the key press is received by the client that didn't do so previously.I let the user choose three keys in the config of my add-on, and then call 'GetReservedKey' using those three keys. If the first one is assigned to me... fine.If the second or third one gets assigned, I report this back to the user. Of course, when none of the three were available....The reserved keys are always in combination with TAB, so you reserve T for instance, and then the user has to press TAB and T simultaneously. I already found out that not everybody knows what a TAB key is and actually, there are keyboards on which the key just has the arrows printed on it, not the word TAB.Daniel