Sign in to follow this  
Guest jer091

Missions Creation tutorial

Guest jer091

I have been trying to create a mission using the SDKs tutorial, and keep running into problems.first, the images for the complete and incomplete show errors when clicking on the mission.second the missions is not categorized.I have tried it several times, step-by-step using the tutorial and keep getting the same results.I'm just trying to create a simple take off and land mission, nothing special (right now)any ideas?

Guest soundphan

I was having the same problems with the images..."can't load ....*.jpg"Fixed it by saving as a 16bit bitmap. Still, when I load it there are some artifacts that display on it that are not present in photoshop.The categories are working for me. For beginner I have the following line in the xml file{89A043AF-EB9E-4248-8A3E-D645309542B9}Hope this helps!John

Guest soundphan

The category I listed above is actually for a Tutorial :)

Guest jer091

Thanks, I got the category's working (I forgot the {})I too have problems with the .bmp, mine are showing up as negative colors. IN the tutorial it says to use .jpg, but they do not work, and now the .bmp work but not as they should.

We had that problem internally at one point so I will ask what the fix was. In the mean time have you tried looking at the images we shipped to see what format they are in (if you can tell)?

Guest jer091

Thanks for looking into it PC-12both the cessna_complete.jpg and cessna_incomplete.jpg are in the mission art folder of the SDK, but if you use them they don't show up. I took them and converted them to 24bit bmp in PS, and they show but in negative colors.but I'm having nothing but problems with this..... grrrrrr....I have been able to create the Mission Creation Tutorial but got all the way to the end and could not get the Mission resolution Success after landing. After quite some playing around I was able to get the Successful mission dialog only if I applied the runway filter. If I left it on 0 and none, it would not complete the mission for goal 2.Anyways, all I really want to start with is to create a simple mission to take off and land at a scheduled airport. I'm working on this for my VA, to try to find out how we are going to convert over 4000 flights for FSX, I would like to see us use missions, but have to see if there is an easy way to convert flights from FS9 to FSX.

I just asked one of our artists and he said the images are 8 bit BMP's. That's probably why 24 bit won't work.As for troubles with triggers and such, with more details one of us or someone in the community can probably answer your questions.If you are using a landing trigger, you can do what I think you are are specify the airport without a runway specified, in which case any runway should trigger it, specify the runway in which case landing in either direction should work, or use an area landing trigger associated with an area definition (volume) and place that around the runway or airport (or wherever).We found that if you specify the airport and the runway, there was a bug where you couldn't go back to just the airport by removing the runway filter. To get around it we had to delete the trigger completely and re-create it. That might still be going on.Also, the airport landing trigger will not fire if you taxi off the runway before slowing down to a threshold speed that is different for different aircraft.Lastly, it is useful to know that if you want a general landing trigger that will work no matter where you land, the area landing trigger without an area definition will do that.Hope all this helps.

Guest jer091

yep, the 8 bit bmps work fine.Also I think that was my problem, I added the airport landing trigger and assigned the runway, then removed it. I was able to start from scratch without adding the runway filter and on any runway activated the goalresolution.here is a copy of my simple take off and land at a scheduled airport.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/158568.txtThanks for your helpJeremy

Guest Patrick_Waugh

The problem I'm finding in following the tutorial is that no matter what I do it gives me the "you are too far from the ground" error.I have tried going to VC and "looking" at the ground, but to no avail. Also, the sim goes into "slew" mode the second I start the object placement tool, which means that my aircraft generally moves unless I d/c the joystick.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Ok, got this figured out.I put a spring back in my controller so that the aircraft would not move when it goes into slew mode (although this is a pain as mostly I fly helicopters and don't want a spring).Second, I then was able to "follow the directions" and just use the hat to look down while the dialog was up.So, I succeeded in creating the demo mission. Only thing I can't do yet is create new categories, or for that matter get any categories to show up in the mission select dialog.

Guest WOoly

I seem to recall the tutorial saying the images needed to be 256 colors or 5-6-5. I saved the jpgs as bmp in paint and then converted them to 5-6-5 using the ImageTool.exe in the TerrainSDK folder. This is probably one step more than necessary.

Guest Patrick_Waugh

Yes, MS just distributed them in .jpg's to save space and to make it mysterious for those not steeped in the ways of the bmp. :-)

Guest reignman40

I am on step 5 of the mission creation tutorial. I says put the .wav's In the sound folder. Where do I find these .wav's or do I have to record them myself?

Guest jer091

Yes you have to create your own .wav files, usually matching the text