Sign in to follow this  
woodreau

fs 2002 flight planning

When I ask flight planner to find a high altitude route from EHAM to KJFK it plots a route from EHAM via north africa and then to KJFK.Am I doing something wrong? How do I do this?Mans Pfeiffer

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You're doing nothing wrong.I'm not 100% certain why this is happening but I have a theory.When creating a plan the planner looks for the closest distance between waypoints for the trip (certainly when waypoints are a long distance apart).As FS2002 doesn't know about NAT (North Atlantic Tracks) the shortest route across the Atlantic runs over the Azores.Therefore it will give you that route to fly (pretty much what they used to do before they could cross the Atlantic non-stop, back when fuelstops in the Azores and the Caribbean or South America were common).Best is to use an external planner for oceanic crossings, and plan the tracks by hand in them (using paper charts if you have them).I like Nav 3.1 (http://nav.consequential.org).

Why don't you establish/edit the flight plan manually? FS2002 does not only offer this find auto route feature, which you seem to use. Making a flightplan manually is easy and much more fun than letting the computer to do the work. With the default FS2002 flight planner it's a thing of 2 minutes to create a plan utilizing the North Atlantic Tracks.But, as Jeroen said get FSNav or something similar. These programms offer many additional features.Wolfgang

Jeroen,I took your indirect advice and checked out Nav 3.1. As freeware packages go, I have had an absolute blast with this d/l today! It's very easy to install and just as easy to use. FSUIPC links it to FS2002, it exports to SB, RC3, & FS2002. I know FSNav is great, but this is good freeware, IMHO. Thanks very much for the tip.Congratulations from the Nth person for your RTW contributions, and likewise to your teammates. I was following very closely both here and on ServInfo, and man were my palms sweating when the baton was being passed. You guys were great! :-wave Kevin

HelloYou are quit correct, It is what I used to do, ask for a great circle and the select waypoints. Only recently I discovered North Atlantic tracks due to the fact that Radar Contact appears to fly loxodromic courses instead of great circles.I think I will use a combination of navigator and manual plotting. Navigator will be best for a flight I intend to make Schiphol - Anchorage Tokyo (have long ago flown this as passenger).Do you perhaps know sites where I can find Pacific Tracks?Kindest regardsMans Pfeiffer

You can look at https://www.notams.jcs.mil and click on Pacific Tracks to get the tracks from the US to Asia and vice versa, I don't think there are tracks from Europe to Asia.These tracks take a little bit more interpreting than the NATs Tracks though.Woodreau