Sign in to follow this  
Guest RobbyGatHome

BSOD - Please help!

Hey EveryoneI need help seriously.I've upgraded my machine and, after reading some of the posts here at Avsim, I've installed the Oct 06 release of DirectX to try and remedy my spontaneous reboots whilst using FSX.Just tried a flight from Johannesburg(FAJS) to Cape Town(FACT) and the same thing happens... in the past I would get a spontaneous reboot but now I have a BSOD which claims there is some Windows exception error. I tried disabling the AGP Texture optimisation in dxdiag and it still gives me the BSOD. I'm now trying the same flight with basic sound acceleration to see if that works. My display drivers are most certainly the most recent (97.02) for the 8800 GTS. My system is normally rock solid stable when running benchmarks i.e. I can run 3DMarks 01SE, 03, 05 06 and AquaMark3 four times in succession without a single hang or hiccup.Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try - I'm really getting frustrated as I really want to use FSX but not being able to complete a two odd hour flight on what I would call a decent system running the latest drivers is starting to make me want to tear my hair out. Thanks in advance.Regards,RobFAJS

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hey Everyone! I think I've fixed it. It was/is one of two things: A post here on Avsim said it could be an issue with FSX and on board Realtek Audio chips so I dialed down the sound acceleration in dxdiag to basic acceleration first and completed a two hour flight. The put it back up one notch to standard and completed another two hour flight. Then to my dismay I tried it again after a break and had the same error - So I dialed it back down and flew around for awhile again error free.I'm thinking of purchasing a sound card to take some of the strain away from my mainboard and see if that helps a little bit more. Maybe I'll be able to set it to standard or full acceleration with a seperate sound card.Then I encountered an all new error which minimised FSX which was really wierd as it was running in full screen. So I disabled AVG Antivirus and then tried another flight... No problem this time. I've uninstalled AVG for now... Just to see if that wasn't causing the new error and havent seen it since... After doing these two things I have been able to conduct a four hour flight from Nairobi to Johannesburg and a couple of others and have *crosses fingers* so far been BSOD and Reboot free. Hope this helps others who may be sitting in the same/similar situations. Regards,RobFAJS

Hi Rob,Glad you managed to resolve your problems."Then I encountered an all new error which minimised FSX which was really wierd as it was running in full screen. So I disabled AVG Antivirus and then tried another flight... No problem this time."I think all you need to do is open the Test Center - Scheduler and Edit the Scheduled tasks that could be starting while FSX is running. What you encountered (the minimizing of FSX) is, I believe, normal behaviour when AVG starts a scheduled scan or an automated update. I prefer to have control over when the scans take place and also when AVG updates itself - each day the computer starts and not while FS9/FSX is running.BTW it's probably good practice to Quit the AVG Control Center prior to starting FS9/FSX, although it probably isn't really necessary. I haven't noticed any significant impact on performance either way.Mike

RobThanks for sharing the solution to your / my problem. Outstanding, I have the same Realteckaudio system. Soooo maybe, just maybe, this will work for me too.Thanks a million.