Sign in to follow this  
Guest Air2k757

Multiple Screens in Flight Simulator 2004:

Guest Air2k757

Hi all,I'm new to these forums, and it's a shame to have my first thread as a plea for help :(. I enjoy flying in flight simulator; I just wish I was old enough to fly real planes. :)I've had a go at trying to set up a dual monitor system with Flight Simulator 2004. I'm having problems. I have some lovely wing views along with my Boeing 757, 767 and Airbus 320 and I'd like to have one view of the panel, facing forwards, and another of the wing view, to my left. I have one screen plugged into the VGA, and the other plugged into an Adapter, that converts DVI to VGA. With me so far?I am told that Flight Simulator 2004 supports multiple monitors; but these are the problems I'm experiencing:- You can only seem to have one 'panel' with a background of the actual game.- When I've created the window arrangement I'm pleased with, I try and return to full screen, and one of the views goes back to a small size.- When I 'Dock' the view i have on my left screen, it goes back onto my right screen.- Frame rates are terrible. Perhaps this is something to do with my computer's performance?There are probably more I can't think of off the top of my head currently, but perhaps there's someone that could help me out with one or two of my little dilemas here?Thank you very much in advance,David.

Guest RonB49

Hi David,And welcome. Two things seem to be working against you here: 1, FS2004 doesn't handle multiple monitors well in full screen mode and 2, having more that one 3d (scenery) view is hard on frame rate. So here is what I did. I have my monitors "stacked" with all panels(s) on an 17" LCD that sits in front of and below a 19" CRT which displays the scenery only. A hat switch is configured to pan the scenery view.Others use one monitor for the main panel (VC or 2d) and the windscreen view and another for 2d subpanels (radio, throttle quad, GPS, etc.) Those setups that have two, three, or six outside views at the same time are usually running with multiple PCs networked together.Sorry that I can't be more helpful.R-

Guest melevine

David,I've been into flight simulation for the past 20 years. As the hobby matured and the ability to run multiple monitors came into being, I've watched (and experimented) and listened and read these forums over and over trying to figure out the best (and most cost effective way) to take advantage of FS2004's ability to work in multiple displays. What you described above is so true, if you try to use both heads on a duel head video card. After much experimentation (and a lot of trial and error) I found the best overall solution in the past few months. MATROX TRIPLE HEAD 2 GO.My system: Pentium 4 3.6GHZ w/2GB Ram; Nvidia 6800 PCI Express duel head video w/256 MB; 9 Assorted GoFlight modules; TrackIR; 21 inch Dell CRT (in center) 2 21" IBM (Sony) CRT's on both sides; 17" IDEK CRT (above left); CH Yoke, CH Throttle, CH Pro Pedals...and Triple Head 2 Go. **The Triple Head 2 go only needs one video head and can stretch the virtual cockpit across 3 screens at a resolution of 3840 X 1024 pixels with minimal "cost" in frame rates. Since no one seems to want CRTs anymore, opting instead for flat screen displays, I was able to find the 2 IBM flat screen CRTs for $40 each. The 17" display is from my Pentium 90 that I bought in 1993. I hooked this monitor up to my second head on the video card and move the GPS window and the ATC chat window onto that screen. In order to get the most satisfying visuals here is what works for me. I have Justine Tymes 36m mesh (free downloads) for the entire USA. I have Ultimate Terrain for the USA along with the mesh and I'm extremely happy with just those (I've tried several Megascenery photo realistic programs...Denver, Pacific Northwest, Southern California and also have BIRDs EYE VIEW -but- I don't use any of these anymore). I do limit my frame rate to 20 and have made a few "tweaks" to the MS Config. file based on hints I've found in the forums. Finally the planes I love to fly (by the book) are only a few: PMDG Beech 1900C; Flight 1 - Pilatus PC 12; Eaglesoft Cessna Citation X; Aeroworx Super KingAir B200; Flight 1 Cessna 441 (notice w/ the exception of the Citation [for when I want to go high and fast] I generally fly turboprops. All of these have very nice Virtual Cockpits that look wonderful stretched across the 3 displays.I've taken some good photos of my setup and would be happy to sent them to you (as e-mail attachments) if you provide you e-mail address.This is a great hobby and over the years I've gotten great help from others....glad to help you!R/ Mike

Guest Air2k757

Hello again,Thank you both ever so much for your support ;). I have heard of the 'Matrox Triple Head 2 Go' and that might be on my Christmas list. I shall put your wisdom into action right now ;).Kindest Regards,David.P.S. - The poor frame rates might've been due to my computer being on, non-stop for 26 hours. It's fine now ;).

Hi David, glad to see your getting excellent advice for your issues. To me, discovering these forums and all the other members willing to assist has been one of the highlights of participating in our hobby.Just for some additional input, I currently run dual lcd's and use the VC on one and 2d guages on the secondary. There's a slight FR hit but it sure does make things easier. The best way to span views from what I've learned has already been suggested, which is the TripleHead2GO.If you trying to use the secondary for guages, this is the procedure for doing that, should you not already be aware. First, go into windowed mode in the sim, open the other windows you wish to transfer (ie:GPS, radio stack), right-click and select "undock" window; drag these to 2nd monitor and go back to full-screen mode. You can then re-size the docked windows or place them wherever you choose.For times sake, save the flight and when you re-load it just hit the the appropriate keyboard command for the specific 2d guage, and it will "dock" on the 2nd monitor right where they were before and the same size. You can also assign a lower resolution from within the sim to the monitor to help with FR's, should you desire.Hope it helps out.Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.9's6x Adaptive AA/16x HQ A/FIntegrated SoundDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Regards, Kendall