Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

Default 172 Stall Horn (Warner)

In the default 172SP, the Stall Warner sounds just as the plane is stalling. In a real 172SP you get the horn around 10 knots above the stall speed. I know that Stall is a function of angle of attack, not actually speed. But I think the horn comes on too late in the default plane because:1) I can set the main gear down on the tarmac at around 40 knots and not hear the stall horn, even though I am out of elevator. If I hold it a second longer (increase back pressure instead of letting her settle), I hear the horn and the plane enters the stall. In a real 172, the plan is still flyable as the horn comes on in landing, it just settles quickly.2) I can fly in 'Slow Flight at 40 Knots and not hear the horn. In real life these excercises are are christened with the continuous horn. If you hear the horn in FS2002, you must recover, because the nose will drop and you have to recover the stall.When I open the C172SP in FSEdit, the flaps extended Stall speed is 43.5. I lowered this number and raised to up to 50 just to see what effect it had. Absolutely none. I still landed the Skyhawk at around 41-43 knots and no horn. I put them bak to the original value.Is there a way to make the horn sound on schedule (above forty knots while in Slow Flight, with sufficient power to maintatin altitude? or just as I land without having to land at 38 knots and fight the loss of control. (Not as real as it gets.)DM602

I don't rely on real stall horns for either landings or slow flight, especially since my own plane isn't going to have one:). But there are some optional files for the default 172SP that may have the horn closer to your liking (but maybe not??). One is from Ron Friemuth, in which the file can be E-mailed to you; and the other will be released in about a week by RealAir Simulations. It's been designed for a flight school. Both of these designer/programmers have been producing top notch air.files for years.L.Adamson

Guest DanWalloch

You're right, the real stall horn usually goes off about 5-10 knots before stall or around 15 seconds before....also it can depend on the air outside the airplane. But then again, why do you need the stall horn in FS, the airplane doesn't get out of control if you just use the yoke (no rudder correction), just noses over unlike the real airplane.

It's not that you need the stall horn, It would just be nice when it is realistic. I like to hear it just begin to sound when I am about a foot off the ground, to let me know I nailed the flare and used all of the elevator. It is not necessary, and I don't always make real landings at at the slowest speed possible. It is a manuever to practice. A spot landing at the slowest possible speed can be a handy tool in an emergency. An early flare and a three foot 'plop' in a soft field could destroy an aircraft.There are a lot of things you could do without in FS, but making it a little more real is always nice. D Mitchell

Thanks for the tips. Please email Ron's file to me if you don't mind. (or tell me where I can get it)Relying on a stall horn alone is a dangerous practice. In the 172SP it is one the signs that must be recognized and announced in a check-ride. While slow flight in MSFS is nice without the stall horn continuously sounding, I like to hear it sound at tire touch as I practice landings. It would just be nice to not have to land at 38 knots to hear it.Thanks againD Mitchell

Post your E-mail & I'll send it.In the meantime, I'll be out looking at my wing------ to decide if I want a "stall vane" in it.. :)L.Adamson

Mail address below.What kind of plane are you building are you building?How long will it take?DMdlmitchell@charter.net

file is sent..The plane is a Van's RV6A. 180HP Lycoming, Hartzell C/S prop, electric flaps, aileron, & elevator trim. It's side by side with dual brakes, sliding canopy. It's nearly completed now, after six years (two off-- for new house)L.Adamson

Dedication, love and know how are evident. She's a beauty.ThanksDennis

I am going to be critical about your wiring and wire routing. It looks a little unsafe at the moment.Looking through the open instrument panel opening, it looks like some of those wires are going to rub on the horizontal framing.My background was flight and avionics testing for the U.S. Navy. We had very strict regulations about wire size, routing, stress relief, and support. I feel it is better to fix things now and not have to later during inspection.Don't take my comments negatively, since I want you to have a positive experience and never have a crash due to cabling problems.

Guest Douglas K

>I am going to be critical about your wiring and wire routing. It looks a little unsafe at the moment.My background was flight and avionics testing for the U.S. Navy. We had very strict regulations about wire size, routing, stress relief, and support.

Larry, that plane is finished! Forget the pretty Garmins, pull those clecos out, put the rivets in and go flying. She's a beauty, even without paint.Best regards.Luis