Sign in to follow this  
Guest davrob42

fps slowdown

Guest davrob42

Seasonal GreetingsThis is a problem i remember reading about years ago, hope somebody can help.Frames locked at 28 and stays there more or less in any situation,however using pmdg 737 on a short ifr flight, Liverpool to Manchester 15 min. using flight plan set up direct into fmc . On arriving at Manchester approx. 20 miles out, frames start droping down to about 8 fps.Never noticed this problem on my old pc although fps where a lot lower on average.New pcPent d960(2@3.6)4mb ddr2 ram@800 mhzecs p965t m boardradionx1950xtx pci cardintrgrated 8 channel hi def sound500w psuRegardsDave:(

On board soundcard is not going to help.Try setting the processor affinity on FS9.exe to one CPU

Guest davrob42

ThanksI'll try one cpu tonight, i have been running on twoDave:-)

Guest Pilot533

Does onboard sound really hog cpu cycles that much?

I recently added a sound card to the mix and while it does not have a huge impact on framerates, it does remove some of the sound related stutters. I have some third party sound sets for my aircraft, some of those sets are huge, 50 MB and more. For example, with the onboard sound, starting the engines during pushback would generate a stutter (while that particular sound was loaded). Now, no more stutter in the same situation.FYI, I got this one: http://www.creative.com/products/product.a...9&product=15853

Mike...

Guest SilverCircle

>Does onboard sound really hog cpu cycles that much?Depends on the chip, but some do, yes. Reason: their drivers have to perform *a lot* of stuff in software while dedicated sound cards usually have way more capable DSPs and therefore produce less CPU overhead for sound mixing and all that stuff.Also, sound quality is rather poor with some on board chips.It's pretty much like GPU vs no-GPU for video acceleration, although the effects of having software-only sound are less dramatic.Older on-board sound chips did even lack DMA capabilities, so the processor had to feed them all the data.

Guest davrob42

Hi Tried same flight using 1 cpu no change still a massive drop on reaching destination.On landing stopped, (8fps),saved situation shut down sim then opened up with same situation 29fps.Do seem to remember someone with same prob. who shut the fmc did a similar flight,and without any fps drop :-( Dave