Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rob Hirst

Scenery enhancements

Guest Rob Hirst

Happry new year all.There are a few files in the excellent AVSIM library for enhancements to textures for airports etc. My question is that I have few payware and freeware airports installed and am concerned that if I were to install these enhancement packs I may adversly affect the non default scenery? Could someone advise me if these packs would affect scenery such as the justflight World Airports 2 and the excellent Boston Logan airport by Mr Grimshaw!Regards

Hi,It's a bit difficult to answer.It depends if those add-on scenery developers used one or more default texture sets.Each and every scenery designer has it's own way of developing, some use the default runway textures (for example) and some don't.Also it depends where the textures of those add-on sceneries are stored. If all textures (incl the used default ones) are stored in the texture folder under the respective scenery folders, the new textures you would like to install have no effect.However if the add-on sceneries point to/use some textures in the default texture folder, it will have impact. I guess the only way to find out, is to install the those textures.(After having made a backup of your FS folder.)

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Guest SilverCircle

>Happry new year all.>There are a few files in the excellent AVSIM library for>enhancements to textures for airports etc. My question is that>I have few payware and freeware airports installed and am>concerned that if I were to install these enhancement packs I>may adversly affect the non default scenery? That's clearly a "maybe" :)In general, the enhancement packs are sets of textures which replace the defaults. In that case, they will change the look of all objects using these textures.Most major payware airports come with their own texture sets but they still *may* use some of the default - that's something only the add-on developer can answer. If so, replacing them will also change the look of payware addons.Anyway - the proper way of dealing with this is to backup everything. If you have made backups of your FS9/Texture and FS9/scenery/world/texture folders, you are pretty much on the safe side. In case anything goes wrong, you can just revert to the default textures.>justflight World Airports 2 and the excellent Boston Logan>airport by Mr Grimshaw!I could be wrong here, but Boston Logan V2 seems to be 100% custom. It comes with almost 100 megs of its own textures. I have installed the AES package (airport enhancement textures) which can be found in the avsim library and did not notice any oddities with Logan V2.