Sign in to follow this  
Guest neslesman

Duplicate Afcad Files Questions

Does anyone know of little tutorial or guide on how to deal with these duplicate afcad files? I have many example as my use of Scan AFD shows but I don't quite know how to deal with them.Many of the files are from my Ultimate Traffic Add on.Many files are the default ones.Many files came from new add ons.Many of the duplicate files seem to have different purposes, ie they deal with different aspects of the airport.Then there is the level/priority issue. Do I keep duplicates if they are from different sceneris and priority levels?Many duplicates have different information, which one is correct or should I keep them both.Is new the best?Oh yes there are duplicates from the same sceneries packs (UK2000) indicating "High Level" and no "high level"Etc. Etc. Etc.Consequently I don't know just what to delete, rename or whatever. I actually have over 50 duplicates according to Scan AFD the majority of them include older Ultimate traffic afcad files.I haven't had a lot of issues with CTD but I've had some although I don't see a pattern as to certain airports or regions.If I could just get pointed in the right direction here I enjoy doing the research but so far I haven't been able to find a conclusive guide on how to deal with them despite having Swordy's utility, TTools and a bunch of other utilities which just arent' helping me decide what to do with the duplicates.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Which is a better AFCAD for the airport?ScanAFD is a useful tool - but it takes a lot of work.When I find duplicates - I move them to a folder out of the active scenery path.Then I move in the AFCAD files for a specific airport and view them, one at a time.I pick the one which is best, delete the rest.I have also renamed all my AFCAD files, from any source - ICAO_AF2_Scenery_Author.bgl - that way I can see easily if I have an AFCAD for an airport already when I think about adding one.But I am also wary of files which only have airport headers - like taxiway signs, etc. And files from some sceneries which are created with XML or ScenGenX which contain more elements than the AFCAD program recoginizes. Those cannot be modified.BTW many of the Ultimate Traffic AFCAD files have been replaced by updates. The original's were done quickly, without the aid of explicit airport information in many cases. We had nothing but the FS scenery to work with, and of course keeping the aircraft out of buildings was a priority. They were completed within 60 days of the release of the AFCAD program.We've learned a lot since them.

Hi,As long as each AFCAD is in a separate scenery folder all is OK. They will be given priority just like any other scenery bgl. The one at the top of the list (and in an active scenery layer) will be given priority. So if you have an addon airport with an AFCAD in there, it will be given priorty over an AFCAD in your Addon Scenery/scenery folder for the default airport, assuming the addon's scenery layer is higher than the Addon Scenery layer. When you deactivate or delete the addon scenery folder, the AFCAD in the Addon/Scenery folder will now take charge and you will have a default airport enhanced by that AFCAD. It all will work fine.The only time you need to delete or move AFCAD files is when you have two for the same airport in the *same* scenery folder.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Fantastic info gentlemen. I've been confused over this since day one and you've really cleared up some things. I really appreciate it and any other suggestions are also welcome.