Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Screen resolution proble

I am sorry I know this is not realy related to FS but I figured I would get the most help here. I just finished upgrading my computer to a PIV 2.8, new Asus MB, GEForce 4 TI4600 etc... the problem:After installing XP , with the default MS drivers, ran the install of the Nvidia 29.42, did NOT restart. I went to change desktop settings and could have 1600 resolution. After restarting Windows, I can only get 1280 max.. ( I changed the fonts to large b4 restarting, after having the problem I reset fonts size to normal but no help)Anyone has any idea what could be wrong? ... thanks a bunch

Before the restart, your system was using the default drivers information in it *.inf file. Once you restarted, it replaced the *.inf (probably oemxx.inf) file with the new *.inf which indicated something different. You shouldn't try changing resolutions/font sizes before you have completely installed the new drivers, usually by rebooting.I would do several things to enhance your WinXP, resolutions. I would install WinXP SP1 and any pre-SP2 updates. SP1 fixed the fixed 60Hz vertical refresh rate problem. It allows you to select the optimum vertical refresh rate your monitor is capable.]Second, I would make sure I had updated driver for the controller chips, i.e., Via, Intel, SiS, AMD, ALi.Third, I would enter control panel Add/Remove Programs menu, and uninstall the present NVidia drivers, reboot, and return to the XP default drivers. Then install later drivers, I recommend 40.72 or 41.09 which are available from http://www.guru3d.com/ .Fourth, I would update to DirectX9.0.