Sign in to follow this  
Vulcan

Dumb navigation question....

I feel like a bit of an idiot, but am hoping someone can help me out.I'm trying to navigate without the GPS. Let's say I am using a victor airway. I set up a waypoint on a fix that intersects another victor airway. I want to tune my nav radio to the VOR that the 2nd victor airway intersects, and set the OBS knob for the radial, so that I can see when I am passing that airway. However, I don't have the sectionals for the area, and there doesn't seem to be a way to determine the radial for that airway based on its name or by trying to click on it within the FS2k2 map. This, I am not sure how to determine when I have reached the fix.Short of actually plotting a course which uses that airway, is there some way I am missing to find out the intersecting VOR radial?

Guest Rockcliffe

It's worth getting the sectionals if you can. A good map store will carry them. YOu could also try your local flying club, because high altitude charts go out of date quickly. My local club has a whole cabinet full of expired charts that are no longer good, but are sometimes used in teaching.It's worth a try

Guest skylanepilot

If you're navigating by airway, look for the low or high enroute charts. Sectionals don't depict intersections well (not all intersections are formed by crossing airways).Also check with any pilot supply shop and ask if they have any expired charts available (explain why you want them). Often they'll sell you the charts at a discount.Overall, compared to what a lot of folks spend on hardware and software for sims, charts are a real bargain. Current charts can be had for $4.10 ea. at Sporty's (www.sportys.com) and current instrument procedures manuals for $4.25 ea. It makes flying a lot more realistic if you're using real charts!!

If you are using FSNavigator, you can add VOR's etc to your flight plan, and then right click them and select "Bearing point". FSNavigator will then indicate the radial of the VOR without drawing the flight route through it. Short of getting a sectional map and a protractor, I can't think of a better way to do it.

One more thing, this is far from being a dumb question, it is an excellent question, and is one that should occur to anyone who is serious enough about flight simming to try navigating airways using only nav aids. The more questions like this on this forum the better, as far as I'm concerned!

Well said Ken.I always remember a response I got when I first started simming and asked a question in a similar manner."The only dumb question is the one that you never asked" Although there are always some who take liberites and can't be bothered to read manuals that come with the more complex a/c & panels :-)I would strongly suggest getting FSNav mackenson but if cost is an issue have a look at similar freeware products such as Nav3. The beauty of such maps/planners is that you can keep them up to date as airways and navaids change, something not easily possible with the default planner.