Sign in to follow this  
Guest mistral2

Joystick?Steering Wheel Conflict in FS

Guest mistral2

I have both FS2002 and FS2004 and have been using a Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick for years (no FF and linked aileron/rudder). Several months ago I added a Logitech MOMO Steering Wheel/Pedal to the system to play driving games. The stick and wheel are in USB slots, and show as separate items in the Game Controllers Section of Control Panel. Recently, when flying and landing in FS the planes became uncontrollable, veering off to the right and taxiing in circles. When I go FS 8 or 9 "Settings, Assignments, Sensitivities" I see that "Logitech MOMO Racing USB" is the chosen device. I then change chosen device to "SideWinder Joystick", click "OK" and try to fly. The control problem immediatel recurs, and when I go into "Settings" again, the Logitech MOMO Racing USB has re-selected itself as the controlling device. The joystick refuses to stay selected in both FS 8 & 9. How can I regain control of the devices and prevent the wheel from intruding into FS?

In that menu, you need to select the wheel and un-assign any axis being used.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest supercoup

Your USB ports may be timing themselves out and shutting themselves off. Go into your control panel and make sure you check the box to make them always on. Check the microsoft help screen for further instructions.

Guest mistral2

Thank you guys..The wheel has no axes selected, and the USB ports are not timing out, but the problem remains. In the Sensitivities Menu, I select SideWinder Joystick, set sliders for aileron, elevator and throttle sensitivities and null points, click OK and close. If I then re-open the sensitivities menu, the control device has reset itself to the Logitech MOMO Wheel, and the wheel wants to control the aircraft. In the Assignments Menu, however, the SideWinder Joystick remains as the control device, and never has tried to switch to the wheel. I really need to solve this, as FS is unusable right now. Any more ideas?

Guest supercoup

Hi: If I understand you right, your not using the momo wheel and pedal setup for flight simulation, right? If thats the case I think the wheel and pedal is being recognized as a YOKE AND RUDDER PEDALS by windows and is dominating the control panel HID while Flight Simulator recognizes your sidewinder. Try disconnecting the MOMO wheel and pedals from the USB port when they are not being used for racing leaving just the sidewinder joystick for flight simulation. USB ports are not really dedicated ports like game ports used to be. They are, in fact, UNIVERSAL and many times devices that are alike will conflict. some simmers use their racing wheel and pedals for flight simulation. Have you tried flying using the wheel and pedals? That too is a possibility. In any event, just unplug the wheel and pedals and your sidewinder will reset itself and become dominant again in windows. FS9 may be recognizing the sidewinder as your control device but windows is recognizing the wheel and pedals because they are a controller that also can be used for flight simulation. With USB there is no need to shut down the computer so you can plug and unplug while running FS9 and check it out. Hope this helps

>Thank you guys..The wheel has no axes selected, and the USB>ports are not timing out, but the problem remains. In the>Sensitivities Menu, I select SideWinder Joystick, set sliders>for aileron, elevator and throttle sensitivities and null>points, click OK and close. If I then re-open the>sensitivities menu, the control device has reset itself to the>Logitech MOMO Wheel, and the wheel wants to control the>aircraft. In the Assignments Menu, however, the SideWinder>Joystick remains as the control device, and never has tried to>switch to the wheel. I really need to solve this, as FS is>unusable right now. Any more ideas?You are misunderstanding what the control menu does. FS9 will automatically detect any joystick or control device you have plugged in. The drop down list of controllers does not select which one is active, it just lets you assign different functions to each. In the control assignments menu, go to the joystick axis menu. Select the wheel. Unassign every axis that is in use by the wheel. You cannot tell fs9 to ignore the controller, you have to unassign every axis it thinks it should use, or unplug it.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF