Sign in to follow this  
Guest tpower

using flyable aircraft as AI, would this work?

Guest tpower

Hello all,please could someone help me out? I have to use some flyable planes as AI when no substitue is available. My question is: if I removed the sound and panel folders from the aircraft would it make the sim more efficient? Are my AI planes reading the panel & sound folders present in flyable models? I'll say thanks in advance,Cheers everybody,Tosh:-wave

It does work. But the number of polygons used in flyable aircraft is simply too high. So if you start using them as AI you will bring your system to it's knees fast.

Guest tpower

Thanks, When you say it does work, do you mean it's more efficient? That is easier on CPU with the panel & sound removed? Is it worth bothering to do this? I understand what you're saying about polygons.... but I need an AI Trislander for my Aurigny fleet.Cheers,:-roll Tosh

The panel and sound removing will help. But only to a degree. I wouldn't advise doing it. But testing it can't hurt.

Guest tpower

Thanks again,it works OK but I can't quantify any performance diff (cos I don't know how). I should rephrase my question, if any one reading can answer? When the CPU "reads" an AI a/c does it read the whole Model + Panel + texture + sound + airfile? Or does it only read what it needs, i.e. model + texture + airfile? Hence my initial idea: if I get rid of the sound (8MB) and panel (5MB) from my aircraft folder, will the CPU have to read less data and thus be more efficient?Thanks again anyone who knows about this sort of stuff,Cheers:-wave Tosh

Guest Binncott

Hi Tosh,There is no doubt that the removal of the panel and sound folders will help - to a certain extent.Can I perhaps ask which aircraft it is that you need working as an AI model? There are numerous sites out there and perhaps the answer to your prayers already exists.CheersBC

Guest tpower

Thanks man!!!Sure... you can ask. Frankly I am very diligent in only using AI friendly models. BUT.... I need Trislanders for my Aurigny & Rockhopper & Lyddair AI. Also need a few Islanders (using MK model where repaints for HTAI are not available). I'm happy to make a AI only folder of a flyable a/c. I can delete the sound + panel, then change the airfile to "aircraft type 2," and rename an airfile if that all would help in performance. Also I need an Aerocaribbean AN-24, and can't find a repaint for the Samdim or CIS AI models. What do you think, is it worth making a separate AI Trislander folder, deleting the panel and sound? Maybe my system would take less of a hit?Thanks for your interest,Cheers M8,Tosh:-wave

Guest Binncott

Hi Tosh,I can confirm that your thoughts on the Trislander are correct, that's what I did!!I reckon Henry figured that there were so few of these guys going around, that his talents were needed elsewhere. He's quite right of course.Knock out the panel and sound files, rename the main A/c folder to something like AI_BN_Trislander, (that way you keep the flyable and AI apart)You can also rename the title within the cfg to;title=AI_BN-2A MkIII-2_G-XTORif you desire, but my own preference is to use something like Aircraft_Typer and hide all AI models from the menu.Not sure about your Antonov problem however, you might find some help over at;www.trafficsystem.ruCheersBC

Guest tpower

Thanks Bincott.I followed suit and made separate AI folders for my Marcel Kuhnt Trislanders & Islander. Knocked out sound + panel, renamed titles. Recompiled my traffic with new titles. Went to Jersey and even with 5 Trislanders and other AI and Tim Clayton scenery I get 19 fps (target =20). Thanks for the feedback and your help,Cheers,Tosh:-cool

Guest thedoggg

You can use some but not too many or it starts affecting fps. I use some of Mike Stones planes for ai. Regards, CArlos