Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

Aircraft.cfg edit needed

Guys, how to edit (decrease) the instant pop up effect due to the use of the spoilers in an aircraft like the default Learjet45? If it is possible at all in Aircraft.cfg, will it affect the braking property?Many thanks,Dirk.

Hi,Download and install AirEd. Then:1. Start AirEd and File/Open - browse to the plane's AIR file and open it.2. Go to section 1101 (Primary Aerodynamics) and click on it.3. Look for Spoiler Cycle Time (sec). Click on it - an edit box will open up on the right.4. Edit the time to your liking.5. Press ENTER to lock it in.6. Choose File/Save, and restart FS (or choose another plane, and then back to this one).Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Excellent, thank you, Tom! Actually I downloaded air152up.zip and was gonna try it. Thanks for the instruction.Anyone tried AirEd on FSX files yet?Dirk.

Guest Tom Goodrick

That is good advice but I also edited the pitching moment for the spoiler in the same section. That is what makes the "pop-up" effect when landing. I got into a discussion about this with a guy who actually flies the Learjet 45 for Bombardier. I had said this moment should be zero and he wrote in to say it really is a nose up moment. But in further discussion he admitted what I suspected, the pitch trim is tied to the spoiler deployment system so it trims the nose down slightly to compensate for the effect of the spoiler. I left my spoiler pitch moment zero. Otherwise,when the spoiler deploys on landing, you are flying again.There are several other problems with the FD in the default Lear 45 like stability at high altitude cruise when you try to turn with the autopilot. I have a free download on my site you can get that makes the Lear 45 fly better and keeps it flying while the autopilot makes a 180 degree turn as in "Forgot the Columbian Coffee!"My site is athttp://home.hiwaay.net/~goodrick/Downloads.htmlAnother thing I have gotten from talking to real bizjet pilots is that the spoiler drag is generally set way too high in FS aircraft. It should be about the same order of magnitude as the drag of the landing gear. Often it is 4 to 5 times greater. Tom Goodrick

Tom, thank you for the comment and the link to your terrific collection of tutorials and flights.