Sign in to follow this  
Guest LONEDOVE

Views Hesitation

Hi all,When switching views, re: front to left, front to right or to VC, I get a hesitation..wonder if anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it ??Many thanksJimMesa, AZ

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Jim,Nothing I say herein may help, but if it were my problem here's some things I'd consider/check/test...Hesitations suggest system is having problems reading, writing, or moving large amounts of information or is otherwise occupied.My first thought is a shortage of memory or Virtual memory or file access speed; I'd want to look at total memory available, processes running in the background; size and fracturing of the pagefile.You didn't give your system specs but 1G of ram should be adequate (I only added my 2nd for FSX). If you defrag with Ultimate Defrag (free trial available) you can move FSX to the front of a drive, everything else to the rear and leave a nice "hole" to re-create a new contiguous pagefile in the middle (or put it on another drive). There are monitoring utilities that will show if you are running short of ram or virtual memory and how much paging is occurring. I have a full 4G of pagefile for FSX but probably never had more than 2G for FS9.I'd try cutting down on the settings, autogen, clouds etc - go for near minimum settings and see how that affects the hesitation. Try one of those utilities that shuts down non-essential processes.I noticed distinct improvement of fs9 when I used Ultimate Defrag; enough to justify purchase of the product. I keep most non-essential processes set to manual anyway. Still, from time to time, it occasionally happens that hesitations occur and if I try to switch views too frequently or too fast it's CTD or lockup time. But so long as it is only "infrequently" I'm not about to lose any sleep over it.Start with system issues first; don't assume that it's an FS9 problem and dive into reinstalls and such until you make sure the hardware is optimized.Loyd.

Does this happen in all aircraft, or is it just one in particular?If it's just one, then it's worth checking whether the VC textures are in DXT3 or 32-bit format - if they're in 32-bit then this can cause the delays you refer to.In order to check, you first need to find the VC texture files. These are probably located either in the texture.{name} folders in the aircraft folder, or they could be in the main FS9Texture folder. Once you have found them, then try to preview one with the Windows picture viewer. If it says "Drawing Failed" then it's probably already in DXT3 format. If it displays normally then it's in 32-bit format and converting it to DXT3 should improve performance.Before converting, make a copy of the VC textures in case anything goes wrong. Then download and install DXTBMP from http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm (download link at bottom of the page).Start the program and then open up the file you want to convert. Next check that the checkbox on the right-hand side of the screen for "MipMaps - Include when saving" is unchecked. Then click on the Save As icon in the bottom left of the screen (5th icon across). In the Save as type dropdown box it will probably say "Extended 32 bit 888-8". Change this to DXT3 and click Save. Click Yes to replace the existing file.Repeat this for each of the VC textures that are in 32-bit format and see whether this imporoves the delays when changing view. Don't try to convert the 2D panel textures as they need to be in 32-bit format to display properly.There are utilities available to batch convert files, e.g. bmp2dxt3.zip in the AVSIM library, but they should be used with caution as it's easy to convert files you didn't mean to.Hope this solves your problem.