Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ted_Thompson

AI DC3 flying slow - flaps issues

I added a few DC3 flights to an airport I'm working on (fictional) and I've noticed that that all seem to fly around 70-80 KIAS and constantly deploy and retract their flaps as they go. They fly around 5000-7000MSL.Is this "normal" for AI? If so, it seems rather messed up... :(

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It sounds like the FS2002 flight dynamics issue.Which DC-3 are you using, which flight dynamics?The default DC-3 flight dynamics will have the aircraft cruising at 180 KTAS.

They are the stock DC3 that came with FS9...

I've never seen that issue with the stock DC-3 files.Some of the 'realistic updates' and 'four tank updates' - yes, but not with pure stock flight dynamics.Could you post a couple segments of the flight plan?

Affirmative . . . I've seen the Default FS9 DC-3 flying as AI and the gear & flaps deployed in the circuit. I've concluded it's caused by rising terrain in the area.AI aircraft (models/paints)work best for AI flights so I've switched to the California Classics DC-3, et al, which comes with 117 different repaints and its FREE."AI File One Contains Boeing (B307, B377), Martin (202, 404), Douglas DC-3 and DC-4 (7.8 MB). Required Last updated on 11/30/06."http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175922.jpg

Hmmmm, odd as my DC3s are flying over open ocean. I've tried various altitudes from 1000' to 7000' - makes no difference, they hang around 80knots and regularly deploy the flaps, slow, retract, speed up, ad infinitum... I used TTools to compile the AI BGL and I copied the data used by MS for the aircraft cruise speed...AC#38,120,"Douglas DC-3 Paint1"AC#39,120,"Douglas DC-3 Paint2"AC#40,120,"Douglas DC-3 Paint3"From the flight plan file...AC#38,VN1314,10%,24Hr,IFR,00:37:17,04:44:31,040,F,0042,FCO,06:37:22,10:44:36,010,F,0024,VVDNThis was for testing, and FCO is the airport I made up. It's in the Spratly Islands.

Hi,The cruise speed listed there is only for TTools to calculate the arrival time and the sector timing. The AI plane's actual cruise speed is controlled by engine power and by the Cruise Speed value in the Reference Speeds section of the aircraft.cfg file. Try increasing the Cruise Speed value until they are cruising normally. AFAIK this value only affects AI aircraft and the flight planner.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Had a look and the aircraft.cfg sez the cruise speed is 95KIAS. Soooo I changed my flight plan files to 95. Better but still not right...So, I changed the flight plans back to 120 and then changed the aircraft.cfg to 120 also.Better still - they fly around more or less at 120, but they still have their flaps cracked open 1 notch.As far as I know, I have stock .cfg and .air files for them.... Does anyone know for sure what the cruise speed is supposed to be in the .cfg file for the DC3? Is there a way I can just copy those files again from the CDs without doing a total reinstall?

Howdy,The default DC3 cruise speed is listed as 185 mph (161 kts or 298 km/hr). The Reference Speed section of the .cfg file, however reads:[Reference Speeds]flaps_up_stall_speed = 67.5 //Knots True (KTAS)full_flaps_stall_speed = 61.5 //Knots True (KTAS)cruise_speed = 95.0 //Knots True (KTAS)max_indicated_speed = 224 //Red line (KIAS)The MAAM-Sim DC3 lists cruise speed as 145 kts and 185 kts as maximum. Hope this is of some small assistance.

I plugged in those numbers, and now they fly right...THanks