Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Texture problem at airports

I have a few airports installed, supposedly for FS9, where taxi/apron markings and the tarmac/concrete textures sort of 'roll back' as the a/c advances (or I pan up and down - the viewing angle is crucial), either disappearing or revealing some other (e.g. grass) texture underneath. For instance, at LICC (catania_fontarossa_2006.zip).Can someone explain why this happens and if there is something I can do to cure it? Thanks!Martin

I think that happens when polygons are layered over the ground, and the sim has trouble determining which should be shown (z-order). I think this can be caused by conflict between the flatten method and the airport/runway elevations in particular. ISTM that it happens more with FS2k2 flattens or scenery.cfg flattens than with FS9 flattens. I haven't seen a fool-proof fix for this. Maybe some else can provide better ideas.scott s..

Since I posted my question an hour or so ago, I've tried making a flatten bgl for the whole area covered by LICC - selecting the altitude given in AFCAD2 for the runway. This doesn't always work, but it seems to have done so in this case. All the surfaces and taxi markings are now stable.Any other insights into what seems a not uncommon problem (at least in my setup), welcome, even so. Thanks again,M.

I fixed a few problems with airports in Italy by adjusting the Scenery Library's postion for the airport in question and the scenery or mesh position. Make sure the mesh for that area is LOWER in the library which means that the mesh will have a LARGER number than the airport. This might not fix your problem but it corrected mine. jerrycwo4

Interested in you comments about mesh position in the file library. I went into this some time ago with Justin at FS Genesis (I have a complete set of FSG mesh for FS9).I have the FS genesis mesh right at the top of the library, position 1. This gives it the lowest priority in FS (unlike for addon sceneries), so that any more specific mesh installed and further down the library will have priority over it. If you think this is wrong, please do comment!M. :-)