Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard_H

9700 Pro Upgraditis

Guest Richard_H

All this talk of the 9700 Pro is giving me upgraditis :) My home PC is a 18 month old custom built AMD Tbird 1.4 Ghz, with 512 Mb Ram and a ATI Radeon 7000.Question is, will the 9700 get to show it

Guest ccgr

for best performance you will need to the CPU and 9700 at the same time. Otherwise you'll be disappointed with minimal FPS increase.

The 9700 Pro is significantly faster than the 7000. We're talking about several times raw videocard performance here. You would notice a difference, especially at higher resolutions, and you would be able to use FSAA and Anisotropic filtering to enhance textures and remove "jaggies". However, the CPU would make the minimum framerate very low, and the improvement would be even bigger with a faster CPU.I would buy a 9700 non-Pro, or even a 9500 Pro, and use the money saved to buy an XP2200+ CPU as well. That would provide much bigger performance boost than going with just a 9700 pro.For the record, I'm running a 9700 Pro on a XP2400+ @ 2220 MHz (185x12) and it's a dream come true for FS2002.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

JimmiG What mo'board are you using?Kevin

-.- . ...- .. -.
Kevin Conlon
Pharmacist, Pilot and Parrot Head

I9-9900K  4.9GHz | RTX 2080 TI FE | 27" Asus Monitors x 3| MSI Z370 | Crucial M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x 2 | Toshiba HDD 2TB | WDC HDD 2TB | 32 GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10

Guest phil

I'd agree with JimmiG. If cash is tight, a 9500Pro and CPU upgrade may be better value.phil

I'm using an Epox 8RDA+ (NForce2) mobo.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest Richard_H

Tough call, marginal upgrade now v big upgrade later. I can get the 9500 and XP2200 for $263 from newegg.com against a 9700 for $299.Know what I