Sign in to follow this  
mayj

AI Helicopter Problem

I re-installed FSX again about 10 days ago having bought a copy of the Acceleration Pack. It was on my PC for about 4 days before I once again decided to remove it as it just does not float my boat.Coincidentally, I was in the process of creating a fictitious airfield using EZ-Scenery. I was about 50% of the way into this project when FSX was installed and removed. Prior to FSX installation, I had a couple of AI Sea Kings flying circuits (successfully) around this airfield. After FSX was removed, I noticed that the AI helicopters would not land, rather they would take off, fly the circuit, turn base leg then slowly fly into the ground without turning onto finals. At first I thought that my AFCAD was at fault but I checked and double checked and could find nothing wrong. I then went to my other airfields which are populated with helicopter traffic and noticed exactly the same anomaly with every AI helicopter on my system

The same problem exists in FS9 if the file named AI_PLAYR.DLL has been edited or changed by a third party Traffic program. That file is located in the FS9 Modules folder.I have no idea is FSX retains that name and location or not.There are several programs which can used to edit this file in FS9 -FSConfigurator by Ken Salter is one of them.AI Helicopters and Ultralights will do exactly as you have described if the Land-Taxi speed value has been changed (raised) from the default 20.I understand that at least one payware Traffic program also alters or replaces the AI_Playr.dll file without the user being aware.Hopefully some of these thoughts will help you get your FSX Heli's landing properly.

David,Thank you very much for such a prompt response - you have solved my problem. Some 3 weeks or so ago, I read a tip that increasing the taxying speed of AI aircraft would help prevent log jams at the busier airports. I used FS9 Configurator to do just that and I just did not notice the effect on AI helicopters.I keep a totally clean copy of FS9 on another PC. I merely copied across the original AI_Playr.dll and the problem is now solved.Thank you again.John May