Sign in to follow this  
CaptLou

Take-off speed/turning on ground

Hi: Two separate questions: May have been answered previously but its been a while since I checked in.1. My aircraft seem to be taking a long time to get up to t/o speed. Even the Cessna 185 requires almost the full runway. On the heavies I have adjusted the weight, but even so I am almost at the end of any runway before lift off. Watching at the local (Thunder Bay, ON) airport I find that the FS aircraft take almost twice as much runway.2. Making turns while taxiing with some models is frustrating. They just do not turn fast enough. I wind up going off the runway to make a wide turn to line up, or I miss the taxiway and cut across the grass. Again, real aircraft appear to turn on a dime. (This seems to be mostly Posky 737 series.3. Ok, I said two questions but it just occurred to me that I have a third one. Many add-on aircraft use ctrl-e-2 for opening second doors. When I try this, the first door (ctrl-e) closes and the aircraft panel pops up on my screen.General Info: Until recently I owned and flew a Lazair Ultralight in real life. Would love to see an SF9 version to fly on my computer.Regards: Lou

>3. Ok, I said two questions but it just occurred to me that I>have a third one. Many add-on aircraft use ctrl-e-2 for>opening second doors. When I try this, the first door>(ctrl-e) closes and the aircraft panel pops up on my screen.>>Regards: Louok, ctrl+e is the auto start keypress.shift+e is the exit opener. shift+e then 2, 3, 4 or what ever number for the other exits. not shift+E+2

Guest rweber95

1. Do you have the prop pitch max, no carb heat, full throttle? The builtin 182 gets off the ground in about 25 seconds.2. Heavy aircraft don't have a lot of weight on the nose gear, compared to the total weight. Hence if your taxi speed is high, the nose wheel tire will just skid instead of turning the A/C. Keep your taxi speed low for turns, maybe 20 knots, or experiment to see what is best for the A/C you're using.Bob

Guest fullstoplanding

Some possibilities re the Cessna 185.Is the elevator trim set at the recommended t/o setting?Is the aircraft at its max gross weight? An aircraft at max gross weight will take longer to t/o than one that is lighter.Have you set wind speed and direction and then chosen a runway such that the t/o is downwind? :-(Roger

Guest fullstoplanding

Just thought of another one...:-hmmm Is there a there a recommended t/o flap setting?Roger

Hi: Sorry about the ctrl-e-2, I meant Shift+e+2. I haven't tried your fixes yet. Will attempt them today as we are snowed in. Over 3 feet of snow in the last 4 days.I have Active Sky which sets the wind direction. Is there a way to set it without the use of Active Sky? Sorry to be a bother but I am just learning this stuff. Will retire in about 4 months and hope to spend more time then.

Guest fullstoplanding

Capt Lou,Sorry, I'm not familiar with Active Sky. Maybe one of the other folks could jump in here on that one.Snow... 3-feet in the last 4-days! Just like Upstate New York where I was born. Roger

Guest JamesMc

>Hi: Sorry about the ctrl-e-2, I meant Shift+e+2. I haven't>tried your fixes yet. Will attempt them today as we are>snowed in. Over 3 feet of snow in the last 4 days.>I have Active Sky which sets the wind direction. Is there a>way to set it without the use of Active Sky? Sorry to be a>bother but I am just learning this stuff. Will retire in>about 4 months and hope to spend more time then.Shift+E will open the main door.Shift+E then 2 (don't hold shift while pushing the 2 thats why your panel is popping up) will open the second door.

I will echo the comments of others and redirect your attention to take-off weight and flap setting. V1, (go/no-go decision speed) VR (rotation speed) and V2 (safe engine-out speed) are all tied into how heavy your aircraft is, and your flap settings, which ultimately conspire to determine the length of your ground roll.Also, are you using full power/rpm? Are the brakes still set inadvertantly?I use the Jel-Air auto V-speed call out gauge by Jacob Larson. It adds a copilot voice that will call out "80 knots" and the 3 V-speeds mentioned above. You can get it here at AVSIM:jelair-fs2004_vspeed-callout_gauge.zipAs a learning tool, once you have the gauge installed, and the speeds window opened before takeoff, watch what happens to the V-speeds as you add (V-speeds decrease)and retract (V-speeds increase) flaps, and then challenge yourself to figure out the answer to the question "why?" The Jel-Air gauge allows you to keep your eyes on the centerline and maintain better directional control, and you will almost never again rotate prematurely and get a stall warning.Regards,http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.