Sign in to follow this  
desertwind

FS9 Mooney Bravo Engine Quits After Landing

Has anyone else experienced the engine quitting in the FS9 Mooney Bravo (for no apparent reason) once clear of the active? It's happened twice now, once at Santa Monica, CA (SMO) and then again at Las Vegas, NV (LAS). Also, what kind of performance are you able to get on climb out? It *should* be able to maintain at least 1000 fpm (if not a lot more) to 10000' msl with surface air temp around 65 degrees from an airport at 500' msl, shouldn't it? With throttle and prop maxed (yes, gear and flaps up, wise guys!) it limps along between 700-800 fpm (never stabilizes) at 90 kias. Lowering pitch attitude yields about 500 fpm climb rate at 120 kias. I even kicked out two passengers (on the ground, of course) and off loaded 125 pounds of fuel. Didn't help much. I did lean the mixture to maintain about 1600 degrees egt during the climb. It's speedy once at altitude in level cruise, but that climb rate is abysmal. I don't see this aircraft maintaining full power to the claimed FL200, or FL160 for that matter. Too bad, because it's a nice plane to fly, otherwise, even though the controls feel a bit light for a relatively hefty aircraft.Then there's that mystery engine cutoff. Tawni

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The only mystery that comes-to-mind is failing to switch fuel tanks after running one dry :-)I owned and flew a realworld Mooney for many years and flamed out due to this problem on two memorable occasions. As any single-engine pilot knows, when the engine quits during flight, the hands get very busy!P.S. Flying my default FS9 Mooney, none of the issues cited have been experienced; I go by climb speed more than by climb rate which is usually close to 105 KIAS. IMO, climb to altitude at 26-squared.[/font size]

While I didn't actually peer into the virtual tanks and see virtual fuel, the fuel indicators were >7/8 full on both tanks and I switched tanks at the mid-flight point. So, I'm assuming I wasn't bingo. =)I'll try your climb power profile and see what I come up with. Thanks for the reply.Tawni