Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

FSNav to iFly 747 Flt. Plan Converter Questions?

I have installed and set up "convertpln.zip" as instructed for Ingo Stoeckel's Tool to convert Flightplans from FS-NAV to ifly-747-400.Installation and useage instructions are as follows:"This tool was developed only for my private using and so I dont needany Installroutine. But many people asked me for this tool.So I've uploaded it in the way it is and so you have to "frickle" it now into your iFly..:)Install==========1)Copy the content of this ZIP-File into your "..FS2004(FSX)iFly747-400" Folder2)go to the "..FS2004(FSX)iFly747-400ConvertPLN"-Folder and open the File "convert_FSNav_iFly.cfg"3)Edit the path to your correct Flightplanfolder for the iFly-FMC as you can see in the samplecontent4)open the FSUIPC.INI (mostly in "..FS2004modules") and add the following two lines:[Programs]Run1=READY,HIDE,KILL,D:SpieleFS2004iFly747-400ConvertPLNConvert_FSNav_iFly.exeWith the next Startup of FS-whatever:) the tool starts in the background and checking the content of "..FS2004(FSX)iFly747-400FLTPLAN"for any *.INI File every 4 seounds. This file you create with the FS-Nav-Tool (export Flightplan to "Windows-INI").If it find an .INI-File it converts it into the .FLTPLN-format and deletes the original. You have create an Filename in the following Format into FS-Nav: "DepartureDestination.INI" (for ex.: Toronto-Leipzig: CYYZEDDP.INI) for the possibility to type it into the FMC:)For debuging-purposes you can start the Converttool manual and than you can see screenouts for all what it does.Copyright by Ingo Stoeckelingo.stoeckel@web.de"For the following: "This file you create with the FS-Nav-Tool (export Flightplan to "Windows-INI")" I originated and exported an FSNAV flightplan with the "windows.ini" option to my "FLTPLAN" directory (KLWBKBTR).The instructions also state: "With the next Startup of FS-whatever:) the tool starts in the background and checking the content of "..FS2004(FSX)iFly747-400FLTPLAN" for any *.INI File every 4 seounds." Usage instructions state: " If it find an .INI-File it converts it into the .FLTPLN-format and deletes the original.". This never takes place for me, and the ".ini" file remains in the "ini" format.For what it is worth, when I crank up FS9, I do get a "Convert_FSAV_iFly-" window popup which says "End of File reached" with an "ok" click option.If I initiate "Convert_FSNav_iFly.exe" for FS9 I have two windows that come up. The first: "Converter FS-Nav-> iFly 747" with contents: "lbl1". The second is a repeat of the same window I got when starting up FS9: "Convert_FSNav_iFly-" with content: "End of File reached" which has the click "ok" option.For FSX, I get only the first window which states: "Plad:C|Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XiFly747-400navdataFLTPLAN".The "Converttool manual" which is referenced is not in the zip file.For some reason, conversion of the ".ini" files never takes place for me. Has anyone else had similar results and found a solution.This looks like it would be a great tool for both FS9 and FSX if I can find out what I am doing wrong with my implementation of it (Thanks Ingo).Respectfully:RTH

>Is anyone successfully useing this utility?>>Thanks:>RTHYes, I have installed it and I'm using it regularly. I did, however, decide that I did not want the program running in the background and checking every four seconds to see if there was a plan to convert.I modified the one and only line in convert_FSNav_iFly.cfg to point to the FLTPLAN subfolder in my FSX iFly directory structure first. Next I created a shortcut by right clicking on Convert_FSNav_iFly.exe and moved the shortcut to my desktop.I also found that I needed to run the program once before WindowsINI showed up as an option in the FSNav Export dialog box.It also may be worth mentioning that long filenames are not permitted. To load properly in the CO ROUTE field in iFly's CDU(FMC). Route names are limited to 10 characters, so I use XXXXYYYY where XXXX is origin and YYYY is the destination.Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but it may save you some hassle.Cheers ....... Wayne

Thanks Wayne:Glad to know that it is working for someone and the problem is probably just me.I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have the "Windows.ini" option in the "FSNav Export dialog box".My route name was "KLWBKBTR" with Greenbrier Valley as my origin, and Ryan (Baton Rouge) as my destination. It does show up exported as "KLWBKBTR.ini", but does not convert to the iFly "KLWBKBTR.FLTPLAN" format. I will try other locations and see if that makes any difference.If there is another step I am missing, please so advise.Thanks again for the reply.RTH

Really strange one:Being that I have both FSX and FS9, I installed this program in both.Both programs are installed in the MS FS installation default locations.I originally up to this point had been trying to get this to work in the FS9 installation with no success.This morning, I finally switched to FSX and it worked fine.I checked, rechecked, and checked again between the two to see if there was anything different except for the conversion path and could find nothing that looked incorrect.As a last resort, I finally copied my "ConvertPLAN" folder from FSX to FS9. The only difference should have been the path for the "convert_FSNav_iFly.cfg" file (which I checked and rechecked repeatedly before for accuracy. Again, path locations are MS FS defaults. My path for FSX is as follows:C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XiFly747-400navdataFLTPLANFor FS9 the path is:C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9iFly747-400navdataFLTPLANAfter copying the "ConvertPLAN" folder from FSX to FS9, I then edited "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" to be "Flight Simulator 9" and the program works fine in both now. I have no idea what the glitch was. The edited path was exactly the same as I had originally for FS9.For anyone who has FS9/FSNav and the iFly 747, this is a great program. In addition, if anyone has both FS9/FSNav and FSX along with the iFly in either or both FS programs, it is great for converting FSNav Flightplans for both of the iFly birds.Thanks very much to the developers of this fine contribution!!!RTH