Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

Renaming addon scenery folder names

Guest ThrottleUp

Hey gang :)I've decided my next "project" will be renaming all the folders in my AddOn Scenery folder. This is because I have a hard time finding out if I already have a scenery when Im downloading new ones etc. I know I can always load the scenery.cfg in Notepad and do a CTRL + F and punch in the airport name but I thought it would be nice to give the folders sensible names. Right now they are a mess. A sample below to show you what I meanThis is how the folders are currently named. Basically I want rename the folders from this:London Heathrow (EGLL)Luton Airport Frankfurt International (FRA)Tokyo NaritaBarcelonaTornoto IntlKolkata (India).....into this: EGLL (London Heathrow)EGGW (London Luton)EDDF (Frankfurt)RJAA (Tokyo Narita)LEBL (Barcelona)CYYZ (Toronto Pearson)VECC (Kolkata)Renaming is going to be a pig of a job and theres no way around it but is there a trick (3rd party software perhaps?) to quickly generate a new scenery.cfg to reflect the foldername changes? If not then I'll scrub this idea hee hee. Thanks :)

I am not aware of any such program, but what I did was delete all my scenery entries from inside the sim, then restart the sim to get a clean scenery.cfg.Then I manually renamed all the scenery folders.Then I added them back into the scenery library in the order that I wanted and the sim wrote a new scenery.cfg upon restart.Why mess with editing the scenery.cfg, let FS handle that. You will still have to manually rename the folders.FYI, I renamed my folders like this.WA_38W-LyndenWA_4WA2-CricketWA_BFI_PAE_RNT-BoeingWA_BFU_Base-RentonWA_S44-SpanawayWA_S50-Auburnor..Geographical area_identifier-nameThis makes it easy to group these together in the library, which comes in handy at times. Say after flying around the state of Washington I know my next flight will be in Australia. When I shut the sim down I can stop by the scenery library and easily uncheck all the Washington scenery and the sim will load faster when I am ready to fly in Australia.Just my 2cents worth.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Guest ThrottleUp

This makes it easy to group these together in the library, which comes in handy at times. Say after flying around the state of Washington I know my next flight will be in Australia. When I shut the sim down I can stop by the scenery library and easily uncheck all the Washington scenery and the sim will load faster when I am ready to fly in Australia.Now thats a really cool idea! Thanks for that. Looks like I got my work cut out for me and I have so many folders to rename that I think Im gonna backup the entire Addon scenery folder first (I just got a huge new HDD) and then rename the copy while still using the original to fly with. Take it in stages!

FSManager does a pretty good job of scenery.cfg maintenance. Think also about changing the scenery area title= line as well as the folder name.scott s..

Guest ThrottleUp

Yes I guess I should have been clearer: What I meant to ask was if there was software that lets you bypass the "add-scenery-areas-one-by-one-through-the-sim" thing :)

Glad to help.Having the disc space to do it your way is a bonus, just make sure you rename the copy you are working on or move it out of the FS folder so the sim doesn't try to load it also.Also you can take your time and really analyze what you want to keep and maybe what you want to get rid of.Another step I took while reviewing my addon scenery was to go through the scenery folders and look for .bgl files that were obvious EZ-Scenery object library files. If I had the .bgl file active somewhere else I would disable it in the local scenery folder as it is not necessary to have more than one copy active. In fact designers have been known to include the scenery object library .bgl without including the associated textures, this can cause objects to load without textures ie: grey objects.The whole process did take a while and I can't say the sim runs better. But it looks better to me to have the file structure neat and orderly. And it keeps me out of the bars, hahaha.Just another idea, take it or leave it.

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Guest ThrottleUp

But it looks better to me to have the file structure neat and orderly.Yes thats my main reason for doing it, so I can see at a glance what I have. I just learned how to make a simple batch file that lets you print out the contents of a folder so once its all done I will dump that to a text file and import into a spreadsheet where I will maintain an easily-searchable database of all my addon scenery. I have 415 scenery areas in the scenery.cfg so I need to get a handle on things!And it keeps me out of the bars, hahaha.http://www.clicksmilies.com/auswahl/lachen001.gif