Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest tmond

Fuel mixture

When flying my props I always get a msge saying my fuel mixure is wrong.The it says press CTL-X to correct but it's on going.Help?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You need to optimum fuel/air mixture in the combustion chamber for best performance. As you gain altitude the air gets thinner and you have to lean the mixture to again get the correct fuel/air mixture.Easiest way to do this is to pull the mixture until the engine starts to cut out then push the mixture lever in 2 inches or so. The correct way to do this in flight is to lean until the egt peaks out and then richen it again for 50 or 100 degrees.

What c210_cvs said plus watch the RPM gauge and listen to the engine sound. As you climb you will notice the RPM start to drop slightly. When you see this happen, lean the mixture till the RPM increases back to near where it was and you will also notice a change in the engine sound.When you reach cuising altitude watch the EGT gauge and do what c210_cvs said regarding the EGT temperature.The stock C172 is probably the best to practice with. Try a cruising altitude of 6000 feet.

>The stock C172 is probably the best to practice with. Try a>cruising altitude of 6000 feet.>Yes, 6000' and up, is where FS becomes quite noticeable if the aircraft isn't leaned. I always lean at my simulated airport of 4600' msl before takeoff.L.Adamson