Sign in to follow this  
Guest Longhornmaniac8

FS9 on an External Hard Drive

Guest Longhornmaniac8

Does it work? Is there any sort of slowdown or delay, or any other reason why I couldn't put my FS9 folder into an external hard drive to use it with two different computers?Thanks, guys!Cheers,Cameron

Guest chris.eve

Yes it'll work. As to how fast it is will depend entirely on the speed of the drive itself and/or it's connection/interface.

Guest Longhornmaniac8

Well, for the time being, I only have Firewire, but I may wind up getting eSATA, eventually.Cheers,Cameron

Yes it will work and it will be slower than an IDE, EIDE, SATA or eSATA drive because the bandwidth on firewire is much less.No you can't use it on two different computers because you will be in violation of the EULA that you agreed to when you first installed FS9 which gives you a license for running FS9 on ONE computer only.Regards,Mike T.

Guest Longhornmaniac8

Ok,Thanks for the help, so far, guys!I do have another question.What files will I need on the External hard drive to ensure that it works? Basically, here's what I've got. Because I've got so many installed addons in so many different places, my plan is to only take my main FS9 folder, and everything inside it (about 25GB), but leave everything else on my internal hard drive. After this, I was planning to delete my FS9 folder on my internal hard drive, to free up space. However, thinking about it, I'm worried that some of my addons require to know where my FS9 folder is, and that if I move it onto my external hard drive, they won't be able to locate it, and I'll lose some of them. If I delete my FS9 folder off my internal hard drive, A) will I lose some addons, as I suspect, and :( if so, is there any way to "reconnect" them with my FS9 folder or my FS9.exe file on my new external hard drive?Also, if I'm running a program on my C drive (main internal hard drive), like ActiveSky, will it work with my FS9.exe on my external hard drive?Thanks so much, guys, and any other help is much appreciated!Cheers,CameronPS: Will I have to move my FS9.cfg file to an identical location on my external drive to save my settings?

Guest Longhornmaniac8

Ok, so I got everything copied over, but the program doesn't finish booting up. It stops responding after about 55,000 K of Mem Usage. Normally I'm in the 500,000-600,000 range.Any ideas?Thanks!Cheers,Cameron

>Ok,>>Thanks for the help, so far, guys!>>I do have another question.>>What files will I need on the External hard drive to ensure>that it works? Basically, here's what I've got. Because I've>got so many installed addons in so many different places, my>plan is to only take my main FS9 folder, and everything inside>it (about 25GB), but leave everything else on my internal hard>drive. After this, I was planning to delete my FS9 folder on>my internal hard drive, to free up space. However, thinking>about it, I'm worried that some of my addons require to know>where my FS9 folder is, and that if I move it onto my external>hard drive, they won't be able to locate it, and I'll lose>some of them. If I delete my FS9 folder off my internal hard>drive, A) will I lose some addons, as I suspect, and :( if so,>is there any way to "reconnect" them with my FS9 folder or my>FS9.exe file on my new external hard drive?well, you can grab a program (avail@tweakfs website) to manually edit fs9