Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

Depart to the west,north,east,south,straight out question

HelloLast night i decided to take the DC3 for a spin for a change from big jet flying.Normally i file an IFR plan for my passenger jets and head on my merry way,but i have a VFR question.When you fly VFR you are given the option of departing to the N,S,E or W or straight out.does the N,S,E,W refer to the runway heading or is it the course heading you turn on to after you have taken off?Hope that makes sense.cheers AndyPS i forgot how nice it is to fly the dc3 low and slow for a change. (taxiing is another matter)

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Guest tatest

You would be stating your intention (or asking for clearance) for a course after you have taken off. There is a controller presumption that you will climb on the runway heading to a certain height AGL, or distance from approaches to parallel runways, before changing direction to your departure heading. IRW a controller may clear you VFR to your heading, or vector you through the TCA; the simulator ATC seems not to do this much. At a busy uncontrolled field, other traffic might expect you to climb into the traffic pattern, at pattern altitude, and follow pattern to a leg from which you can leave on your departure heading, without busting through traffic. But if the runway heading is close to your departure heading you might just climb out above the pattern and turn.

The FS9 ATC is crazy to say the least.They will have two parallel runways doing left handed circuits for example.

>You would be stating your intention (or asking for clearance)>for a course after you have taken off. >>There is a controller presumption that you will climb on the>runway heading to a certain height AGL, or distance from>approaches to parallel runways, before changing direction to>your departure heading. IRW a controller may clear you VFR to>your heading, or vector you through the TCA; the simulator>ATC seems not to do this much. >>At a busy uncontrolled field, other traffic might expect you>to climb into the traffic pattern, at pattern altitude, and>follow pattern to a leg from which you can leave on your>departure heading, without busting through traffic. But if the>runway heading is close to your departure heading you might>just climb out above the pattern and turn.>Thank you for the information.I did think it must be your course and not yhe runway heading.(which the controller would know anyway)cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077