Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rightseater

Some random questions....

Been working hard on improving my FS9 experience since the weather here in Florida is keeping me grounded. Here are some questions I have gathered over the past few days.1. At what range does FS9 allow the VOR/EHSI and DME to pick up a VOR station? I have been getting a lot of fluctuation on this one, ranging from just 35 nm all the way up to 72 nm. 2. Same for the ADF. Last night I didn't pick up the Gainesville NDB until 30 nm out. Today, I grabbed it at 49 nm. 3. Does the default AI traffic communicate in Class E airspace, such as when landing at a non-towered airport? I have not heard anything from AI traffic outside of B,C, and D. Do any of the traffic or ATC programs correct this? I would at least like them to announce there position. 4. What is the best ground textures for FS9? The only thing keeping FSX on my system is the fact that I really like the default ground textures, at least a lot better than those in FS9. Is there a program that can at least come close to what FSX offers?5. Where can I learn about altering virtual cockpit lighting? I would like to be able to dim the panel lights in the Carenado 206.Thanks all,-Jeremy

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Been working hard on improving my FS9 experience since the weather here in Florida is keeping me grounded. Here are some questions I have gathered over the past few days.1. At what range does FS9 allow the VOR/EHSI and DME to pick up a VOR station? I have been getting a lot of fluctuation on this one, ranging from just 35 nm all the way up to 72 nm. It depends on the type of VOR. There are three types and all are dependent on Line Of Sight. Terminal VOR (TVOR), Low Altitude VOR (LVOR), and High Altitude VOR (HVOR). Their ranges are: TVOR- 25nm from the station or above 12000 AGL; LVOR- approx 40nm between 1000 and 18000 AGL, above 18000 you can get interference from other VORs with the same FREQ; HVOR- Range depends on altitude. Could be up to 130nm. 2. Same for the ADF. Last night I didn't pick up the Gainesville NDB until 30 nm out. Today, I grabbed it at 49 nm. I don't use the ADF much anymore. Real world range can be great depending on the station. 3. Does the default AI traffic communicate in Class E airspace, such as when landing at a non-towered airport? I have not heard anything from AI traffic outside of B,C, and D. Do any of the traffic or ATC programs correct this? I would at least like them to announce there position. Yes they will, provided you have traffic setup to go to that airport.It's actually better with VFR AI at non-towered airports in FS because they behave more realistically than when controlled by FS' ATC4. What is the best ground textures for FS9? The only thing keeping FSX on my system is the fact that I really like the default ground textures, at least a lot better than those in FS9. Is there a program that can at least come close to what FSX offers?GEPro, Birds Eye View. Personal opinion. Tons of free textures in the library too that are truly payware quality.5. Where can I learn about altering virtual cockpit lighting? I would like to be able to dim the panel lights in the Carenado 206.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=122http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=10755&page=Regards Again,Jeff