Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nealoc187

Random extreme blurring of both ground and building textures

Guest Nealoc187

I can't seem to figure out what causes this, but it's annoying.It doesn't happen terribly often, but it happens often enough for me to post about it. Sometimes, I get an extreme blurring of all ground and building textures. The aircraft textures (mine and AI) remain fine.It seems to be related to changing the view from in-cockpit to spot plane to tower and so forth. But it only does it on occasion.I've had it occur just after the sim has been started after a fresh reboot of the computer (full system resources available) and I've had it only occur in the last stages of a 3 hour flight. I've had it occur during night time and day, I've had it occur during takeoff, cruise, approach or after landing. I've had it happen when in the vicinity of payware or freeware airports. I have GEPro, Ultimate Terrain USA, installed.There seem to be no common denominators. The only thing that I notice is that if I use alt-enter to window the sim or to full-screen the sim, my textures will be "as they should be" for about half of a second, and then they pop right back in to being totally blurred. Literally half a second of proper textures before it reverts to a complete blur. It might stay blurry for 3 minutes, 5 minutes, or 10 minutes before going back to normal looking texture.Any ideas what is causing this? Remember it only happens once in a while.NC

In my case I found that it was caused by too many traffic bgls. When flying the east coast areas, the sim has to check every traffic file pretty much all the time and the strain of opening and closing all those files (103) was just too much. I consolidated them, with TTOOLS, into fewer than 6 files and no more blurries. This may or may not apply to your setup...DJ

Extreme blurriness like this is usually caused by a scenery that has a texture file in DXT1 format without mip maps. Basically, when FS loads a texture it peforms three operations: open-read-close. When a DXT1 texture without mip maps is is the field of view at the same time as any other texture format, FS cannot perform the "close" part of the operation on the file. This makes an instant bottleneck and forces all other textures to their lowest mip map resulting in extreme blurries.The solution: when the problem occurs, take note of every addon scenery in your "sight distance" area. So if your sight distance is set to 100 miles, you need to look at every addon scenery in a 100 mile radius of your plane. I then deactivate each scenery until I find the culprit. Next you must look at every texture in that scenery (use imagetool.exe) and if it is DXT1 format, it MUST have mip maps. When you find one that doesn't, it's an easy matter to tell imagetool to resave the file with mip maps.Sorry for the complicated explanation. Hope you get it solved!

Guest Nealoc187

Thanks for both of suggestions guys. I will investigate both of them in the coming days.