Sign in to follow this  
bucifan

3GB Switch Question

Having had very few OOM's, I never pursued installing this, but after installing FSDT's KJFK, and using PSS's 757, my first flight into JFK resulted in an OOM on approach. Since I'm using Auto Save, I was able to restart to the last save and complete the flight, even with RC4 and FSACARS. BUt it got me to look into and install the 3GB switch. I have followed the threads all along, so I knew where to go for the install info. I'm no IT person, but do know my wat around a pc. Here is what I'm seeing.With no patch, I will see the HD activity light flash on occasion as scenery loads, with maybe, maybe a micro-stutter at times.With the switch/patch installed, I see very long texture loading times. I have adjusted the Userva= from 2560 to 2880, in increments of 64MB with 2880 being better. System specs are Core 2 - 6700, 2G ram, EVGA 880GT/512. On 2 flights I did, takeoff was ok, but on climb, textures started to slow down loading, even my own a/c textures. HD activity light stayed on solid for minutes, ground textures looked like something from the Commodore 64 days. But frames were a rock-solid 24(locked), sounds were fine, gauges worked ok. At times, the sim would freeze for 30-45 seconds. Once the scenery started going downhill, it would never recover. Checking task manager would show I had over 1.1GB of free ram, commit charge and kernal memory were no where near limits, and cpu usage was less than 50%. I have my page file set to 3072, and have tried it on the boot © partition, and the (E) fltsim partition. The FS9.exe was also edited, as per the instructions.I guess I'm wondering why I am seeing so much disk activity now. It almost appears as if FS is running off the HD now and not using ram. Has anyone else seen this or experienced anything like this? I read & reread the instructions over & over, and I'm sure I didn't miss anything. HD has been defragged. Even deleted page file, then defragged and then added back page file, and have seen no change.Any ideas would be appreciated!Rick

I had similar problems with the new KATL scenery - a long pause at a similar point to where I got OOM errors.Eveuntually, I started getting OOMs again, even with the 3Gb switch due to the large number of addons I had (especially Ultimate Terrain). Installing another 2Gb of RAM has solved the problem. No more OOMs or long pausing.