Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Chew

Freetrack v2.2 released

Freetrack, an excellent freeware alternative to TrackIR, is now available at free-track.netAmong the new features included in this version are support for 6DOF in FS9, and the option to use a Nintendo Wiiremote to track head movements instead of a webcam.From the Freetrack website:What's news with FreeTrack v2.2 ? * Better tracking accuracy * Better profile management * Bluetooth connected Nintendo

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

Guest belga1

Hello,Methink this is a very good software and if it's freeware .. it's even better :)The only drawback of this .. is the hardware side.You have to provide it yourself .. and it can be a source of problems ...Track-Ir provide the two in a same package and those are working well together (hardware and software).Cheers.

True, but the upside is that it's quite easy for folks like me (who can barely screw in a lightbulb, let alone assemble LEDs)to pick up hardware at a fraction of the cost of TrackIR.The two main components are the camera (a simple $10 webcam can yield fantastic results), and the head gear.Odds are, many of those interested in checking out Freetrack will already have a webcam that will do a good job. If you happen to have a Wii, better still. As for the head gear, there's a Freetrack user in the southern States who manufactures three-point IR led baseball caps (running on a single AA battery), and he ships to most places worldwide. I bought a hat from him a few months ago (after several failed attempts are trying to make my own), and it works great.Without wanting to turn this post into an ad, I'd highly recommend him to anyone who's not comfortable assembling the LED head gear on his own. You can check out some photos of his hats here:http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=829&page=1

Hi belga1, and everyone.Can you explain to us what it is in some people that one would take a positive thing and spin it into a negative? Did you ever hear the saying: If you don

Hi,You can find plans for assembling a three-point hat or clip here:http://www.free-track.net/english/freetrack/manuel.phpAlso, I think belga1 raised a fair point: Freetrack isn't an out-of-the-box head solution like TrackIR, and perhaps getting an all-in-one package is worth paying the extra money for some. However, it is worth pointing out that Freetrack is relatively easy to set up, offers performance on-par with TrackIR, and is much more affordable.Another quick note: there seems to be some teething problems with FSX and the latest version of Freetrack, which the Freetrack community is working on solving. Until those issues are ironed out, FSX users may want to check out the previous version of Freetrack (2.1), which is still available in the downloads section of the Freetrack website.

Hi, Charlie.Thank you, for the info. I will look into it and let you guys know what some of the problems may be with building the IR circuit. I would think that the Focus and intensity of the IR beam may be the two most likely issues. If I get around to building it I will post a feedback.As far as belga1 is concerned, he should stick to the subject. If he / she? would have just pointed out something about the circuit needed to be built, fine, don

Good luck! I'm by no means a Freetrack expert -- only an enthusiastic user -- but if you come across technical questions, I'm sure the Freetrack team and some of the more knowledgeable enthusiasts will be glad to share their expertise in the Freetrack forum.