Sign in to follow this  
palafox

No VASI at French airports?

Just curious about this. I've just flown from LEMG (Malaga, Spain) to LFPO (Paris-Orly, France) in my 737-300 (nice storm at landing btw), and have noticed something I have realized about before: most airports in France, including international ones, have no PAPIs nor any kind of VASI at their runways. Is this a FS9 issue or it's so in the real world? What's the reason, in any case?TIA,JAMM

LFPO Rwy 8 has a PAPI-4 on the left; Rwy 20 has a PAPI-4 on the left.All the other runways have ILS with Localizer and Glide Path. Rwy 8 only has a localizer with no glidepath.LFPG has a PAPI-4 on 27R, 9L, 27L, 9R, 26R, 8L, 26L, 8R - all except 8R are on the left, that one is on the right.LFMN has a PAPI-4 on 22L, 4R, 22R, 4LLFML has a PAPI-4 on 3 of the 4 runways.LFBO has a PAPI-4 on 33RJust a wild guess, but maybe they decided to not go to the very substantial expense of a visual light system as a backup to an ILS at most airports.

Hello,You can see which airports have PAPI and VASI in real world here:http://www.azworldairports.com/indexes/p-apicl.cfmI do a lot of FS flying in France, I knew the ones mentioned above but I haven't noticed a general absence of these instruments. You maybe right though, next time I will check this out on takeoff and landing.BTW, if there is anything seriously lacking it is freeware sceneries of french airports. There are a few french sites but they seem dead. Too bad FS France is gone too.