Sign in to follow this  
thetford569

Tile Proxy and SP1

Ok, I installed beta 4 after uninstalling beta 3 because of the problems I've been having.I first installed beta 4 with the option to optimize for speeds from 100kts - 150kts. When I first loaded up a flight my FPS were in the low single digits (with a locked rate of 20). If I increased to unlimited, the fps went up to 20 however I experienced suttering. The ground textures were also blurry. I remembered the note about deleting the fsx.cfg and generating a new one if you have stuttering...so I did that.After the regeneration of fsx.cfg I assume I lost whatever optimization was made for higher speeds (100-150kts)? My framerate though locked at 20 this time was in the 20s and no stuttering...however when I get around 100 kts things start to go blurry. Is there a way to fly above 100 kts and still have crisp tile proxy textures in fsx?Brandon

Guest cbuchner1

I am aware of the performance problems with TileProxy. Part of the problem seems to be caused by delays due to network access. In the future, I can try to mitigate this problem by preloading terrain tiles in the direction of flight.Another major problem is caused by Flight Simulator not asking for terrain tiles FAST enough because it does not dedicate enough resources to the terrain texture threads:The best fix I came up with for FSX SP1 so far is a combination of:-Fiber Time Fraction slightly above 1-High PerfBucket (about 10 times the original value)For a lowly 2 GHz Pentium IV this might look something like this:[Main]FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=1.20ProcSpeed=2000PerfBucket=50For FSX RTM you might try to lower the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION to something around 1.5 or 1.2. Locking the frame rate is a must to get decent terrain loading speeds. Without locking the frame rate, the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION does not seem to have much of an effect.But this workaround is hard on frame rate. Expect something between10 and 20 FPS.Christian

well I tried the entries in my fsx.cfg and was greeted with a frame rate around 11. It also didn't have any effect on the blurry textures. I first tried using my original config that I had set up before the tile proxy install. I don't get any blurries with SP1 and the default FS scenery/textures so I figured if I don't get blurries there then maybe it would work well with tile proxy...still getting some areas that are crisp but more areas which are blurred...and that's in a C-172 going around 90 knots. Oh well...I'm sure down the road a solution can be had. This is an impressive program and I wish it worked well all the time because I find myself really wanting to use it...unfortunately with the blurry textures I'll wait until a fix comes along. Thanks for developing this program. I know it takes alot of your personal time and it is definately appreciated.Brandon