Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Some Questions About Displaying Tiles?

Am I correct that the stats we see rolling in the CMD window are a result of you intercepting calls within FSX/FS9 for a new area to be loaded? I suppose you check the availability of a BGL and look at cache if needed.It seems that this process, if guessed correctly, leaves you at the mercy of FSX/FS9. The reason I say this is that as you fly over scenery it only resolves at some distance from the aircraft and seems to be based on some time since the last "load & show" process. Is there any hook into the FSX/FS9 program to allow you to force an update? I have to run FS9 since FSX is not usable with TileProxy and barely useful on its own at 2ghz/1gb. I get 70 to 80 FPS in FS9 with about 400mb of memory available when flying. Yet I find that the tiles do not resolve until they are somewhat close to the aircraft. Or, if I change views to, say the other side of the aircraft, the tiles are low resolution until some trigger in FSX/FS9 occurs. Is this unique to my low end system? If not, is there any way for you to manage the process yourself more fluidly?Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest cbuchner1

> Is there any hook into the FSX/FS9 program to allow you to force an update? See my thread about hooking as a possible alternative to the filesystem driver. It would allow for some careful manipulation of variables on the stack, thereby influencing the behavior of the sim.Also I am also thinking about manipulating API calls to GetSystemInfo() which would indicate the # of available CPU cores to the sim. Maybe it is more efficient to allow it to have more worker threads, even on a single or dual core machine. I know for sure that a dual core PC will only use a single texture loading thread with FSX SP1. Quad Core CPUs use more than one thread. Some people with quads ran into problems because this confused my preloading algorithm - they had to turn this feature off ;) FS9 by design is single threaded.These hooking options are things that I have started to experiment with, but i haven't really got any improvements out of it.I don't see a way to tell FS9/FSX which tiles to update, however. Other than using the "refresh scenery" action which just reloads everything.

The "hooking" of elements in the to-do stack of FSX sounds like an interesting avenue into managing the program. Tile proxy is unique. The program may function more smoothly is there is a way to adjust FSX to operate on different priorities and sequences. Who knows what you might uncover.Another question, are the small BGLs and textures a hindrance to FSX speedily process the tile requests? If so would a "postfilght" batch process to consolidate the BGLs and/or the textures into larger elements be relevant?Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest cbuchner1

A preflight BGL generator would make more sense. You save the entire step of going through BMPs (which are compressed and already lose quality).Two people are working on such a tool independently.