Sign in to follow this  
hilton

Vista Home Premium 32

Has anybody got TP to work on Vista and if so what problems did you encounter and what did you do to fix it.Still tryingB

Ok I guess I will reply to myself having found a work around.Tile Proxy and Vista do not appear to speak the same lingo. If you have Vista installed then you will suffer tile corruptions immediately beneath and behind your aircraft. These corruptions look like a very blurry tile of low LOD value.It is reasonable to assume then that the Vista compatibility problem lies chiefly with the more detailed scenery tiles of LOD 14 and 15.I have tried to exclude LOD 14 and 15 tiles from within proxyUser.ini but this approach does not work for me.The only way that works is to set the Texture Resolution in FSX Scenery dialog window to a value of 5 m.This work around applies to both TP versions 6 and 7.I am using Vista Home Premium 32 FSX SP 1 and SP 2 and DX10. At a 5 m resolution it means that I have to fly higher than I would otherwise like to, but one compensation is that I have less data to load. It also means that I can stretch out the LOD 13 area well into the distance and avoid most of the popping into focus effect with the scenery.Bernard

Guest cbuchner1

For me, it works rather well on Vista Business 32 bit on a laptop. I get occasionally blurred tiles when I hover or circle over a specific spot for an extended period of times.I do not experience the same level of corruption as Bernard.I think I know why this happens, but there currently appears no way to avoid it. It's Vista's kernel remembering the file size of a tile, say 48 KB (@LOD 13), and after Tileproxy has updated it (to say 768 KB @ LOD 15) Vista refuses to let the Sim read past 48 KB. There is some kind of caching mechanism in the kernel which I cannot currently work around.Christian

The blurry tile issue is not a show stopper, not every tile is affected and if looking through cockpit view (virtual or otherwise) often the corrupted tiles cannot be seen.Christian is right, circling around is a problem.Unfortunately I like panning around the aircraft and this is when I see them.I compensate by flying higher and limiting to LOD 13 achieved by limiting the sim to a 5m texture resolution. Incidently turning down the texture resolution in mid flight does not work. The only way to clear the faulty tiles is to re-boot FSX.I am presently exploring The Alps using GE. This area looks very good at LOD 13 because you need to fly high to avoid the peaks.Other problems I was having were with conflicting programs. To stop the conflicts I now stop all non-microsoft services (using msconfig from the Run dialog) before starting TP.For info on how to do this browse the help section in FSX and look for conflicting progs. This action also frees up useful resources.Bernard

>It's Vista's kernel remembering the file>size of a tile, say 48 KB (@LOD 13), and after Tileproxy has>updated it (to say 768 KB @ LOD 15) Vista refuses to let the>Sim read past 48 KB. There is some kind of caching mechanism>in the kernel which I cannot currently work around.>>Christian>Anyone listening in good ol' America? Mr P Taylor perhaps.Is this one for SP3 (it will never happen) or perhaps a Vista update.I can always hope :-) Bernard