Sign in to follow this  
stampee

slow loading of tiles.

Christian: I have just started using Tileproxy for the first time and am extremely happy with what I have seen so far. I have been searching for scenery to my home town for years and have given up. Now I can fly around my city and see where my tax dollars are going too! urp... Thank you very much for your efforts.The Install went fine, I only had a little problem figuring out what to put in the config file for the servers, but... I can certainly understand your reasoning for that.I have installed Version 7 and am not getting tile load times anywhere close to what you describe in the manual. You will see my system specs in my signatures. I see tile preload times of 32 per second, at the highest. I am sorry to say in flight I cannot give you a figure, I imagine it is pretty low. I only have a 256k cable connection. I can understand the slow load times while in flight. I presume from what I have read however that after tiles are downloaded and on my harddrive cache, the preload time should be in the hundreds of tiles/second, which I am not seeing.I used most of the proxyuser default settings, however I changed the server command to conn=4|rate=.2 for my slower bandwidth. I also do not use the moving map, so have enable_dx9hook=No I currently am using max_lod=15 I tried 14 and 13 and to be honest I saw no difference in the preload times.IN FSX I set fibreframe time fraction to 1.0 raised up from .66 per advice in the user manual. I locked my frame rate at 12,15,25 and saw no difference there either. I presume I would not since these are preload times we are talking about. I am unfortunatly running only one single harddrive in my computer. I had no second drive to install on. I do have an old 10 gig drive, but was thinking that would fill up awful fast. If you think it advisable I could try that 2nd drive for the cache drive. By the way, I do not plan to use tileproxy for the entire world, so do not expect a horrific amount of data to be generated. At most I wanted a 75 mile square radius around my area. One last thing, of which you may already be aware. When coming out of pause, sound will be cut off for approximately 30 seconds on my system, and sometimes I will see wierd graphics overlayed upon the windows of my aircraft. Seatbelts, wheels etc. Waiting around 30 seconds these artifacts go away. I know this is all pre-beta software, but just wanted you to know in case you had not seen this reported before.Thank you once again. If anyone has an idea on the low pre-load times I would greatly appreciate it.-Stampee

Christian: Here is some more fuel for the fire as it were :)I start FSX and load my default flight. It takes around 20-30 minutes to load the flight. I watched very closely, and Tileproxy DOES show some high tile load values. For awhile it may say 400-600 tiles/second. then FSX hits around 36% scenery loading and tileproxy slows down to 16-32 tiles/second until finished loading.In flight I show around .1 tiles/second while it is downloading new terrain. I expect that since I have such a low network speed.If I pause FSX and hit refresh. I may see a huge load figure of 800-900 tiles/second but then it will fall off to 16/second again, then it starts downloading new terrain.I will go back to an area I am pretty sure I have all the tiles downloaded and hit refresh and see what I get for numbers.Thankyou so much once again for this awesome program. I will be VERY happy to fly over my home city when I finally get things tweaked properly.-Stampee

> At most I wanted a 75 mile square radius around my> area.The nice thing about TileProxy is, of course, that you can go anywhere in the world, fire it up, and it just works. If all you want is one relatively small area of photo scenery, however, you might want to have a look at FS Earth Tiles at http://www.fspassengers.com/forum/read.php?f=9&i=4634&t=4634 . This tool creates FSX style scenery from the same source material that TileProxy uses. Once created, these can be used offline, and more importantly, being in FSX's native format, they usually offer much better loading performance than TileProxy's FS9 style scenery.

Guest cbuchner1

the in flight performance should really be better. I suspect you have some configuration problem inside FSX. Typically in flight the TPS should be half of what you get in the initial loading phase.So in your case 300-400 TPS.

Thanks very much to both of you: I am looking into the fspassengers right now.Christian, I seem to be doing okay with flight tile loading. I am showing a range of 200-500 in flight still. ON initial load of a flight it takes forever though, on the order of 30 minutes to load a flight that I have previously flown and downloaded all the tiles.I just installed a second 10 gig harddrive and put the cache and tileworld directories onto it. I did not see any improvment.On initial flight preload I will see figures as high as 900 TPS, then at some point they taper off to 16-32 tps and stay there for 20 minutes until the flight is finally loaded.I am suffering the out of foucus/blurries as alot of other people as well. I tried minimum LOD and maximum LOD. Maximum actually appears better, but it takes a horrific longer time to load tiles.What is wierd, is if I look out to a distance in flight the terrain looks nicely detailed. if I look under the plane it is horribly out of focus. Pausing sometimes helps this, but not always.I will try fiber_frame of 2.0 next as I saw you sugest in another topic.Just now I flew to a new airport KITH that I had not been to before. It is 60 miles away from my home airport KBGM. I have max_lod set to 13. I gave tileproxy plenty of time to load new tiles as well as pausing many times. DL has stopped, yet close up terrain is terribly out of foucs. I tried refresh terrain and moving the aircraft around a little bit to no avail. Terrain in the distance looks beautiful.I am using Go**le server, and flying the Robinson helicopter so I can go as slow as I want. Typically I fly at 30-60 KPS so with tps speeds of 300-400 in flight I presume this should keep the terrain in detail.Well.. if you can make anything from my rambling I would greatly appreciate it.-Stampee

Guest cbuchner1

well, it shouldn't be like this.I can take a Cessna or helicopter and go about 100 Knots into any direction and the terrain stays crisp about 95% of all time. And this with max_lod of 15.Hmm...