Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest cbuchner1

Working on the next Tileproxy version...

I've overhauled the Tileproxy code a bit - it was a big ugly mess.Now it is only a regular mess. That's some progress for ya.I am shifting the caching away from individual BMP files - moving towards storing an entire cluster (Essentially each * you see in the DOS Box represents such a cluster - up to 1024 tiny BMP files).Right now my Tileproxy test version is able fill up the LOD circles in 3 seconds - if I've flown at that particular location before. Before it would take 20 seconds or more.Also I've been able to lower the memory requirements during flight a bit, and I intend to further improve this part.Another thing I want to improve is the "Blue Marble" image. It does not match the dynamic range of the material that most of the providers have. I need to maximize the contrast locally. This means segmenting the image, running a contrast/dynamic range maximization on each segment and putting it back together (best when done overlapped to prevent visible seams). But this will be hard. It's a 2 Gigapixel image overall.Christian

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi ChristianThanks for your work -- I am not sure how well this "Blue Marble" image is working for me - I can see in the TP box that the first oval is empty ( although sometimes it seems to have some small number of crosses in it) - but can't see any effect of this onscreen. The overall initial loading time is probably a bit quicker (haven't actually timed it) - but I think that my mainproblem is the slow download of textures as I fly along. I usually fly a chopper at around 80 Knots - but I very quickly get ahead of the texture download, having to pasue every few minutes.. A return flight along the same path is much better. I only have a 1 MBit ADSL network link to the Internet.Barry

I wish that someone else would release a very, very simple utility that takes all of these BMP files and compiles a BGL of the whole thing. I know that there are programs out there that do it, but they are difficult to use. I just want a one button operation that does the whole thing for me from beginning to end...

I am not going the download and recompress as BGL route with Tileproxy. FS Earth Tiles and Maps2BGL do that.Third party tools that would take Tileproxy's BMPs will have to work around several problems: for example Tileproxy is producing different BMP file resolutions, and the lower resolutions are even stored in so called .FLAT files instead of individual BMPs.Christian