Sign in to follow this  
Guest ba747heavy

fs2002 under Linux

The TransGaming implementation of WineX isn't open source because they had to put in support for copy protection (the source of which couldn't be revealed). So the TransGaming software no longer benefits from nor contributes to the WineX codebase. However, their version does improve the compatibility of copy protected DirectX games under Linux. So, the subscription fee that you pay gets you this new incarnation of WineX as well as tech support.Anyway, it does enable some DirectX games to run on Linux. However, that doesn't mean that all do and FS is still rated a 1 for stability on a scale of 1 to 5. Also, not long ago some benchmarks were made using the Windows version of Quake on Linux via WineX and it seems that WineX and/or OpenGL had an artifical boundary at 50 fps (which isn't a big deal for having fun). So, that post about FS2002 running at 100+ fps on Linux is definitely a hoax.Nevertheless, I do use WineX for "normal" Windows apps for which I don't currently have a Linux alternative or that I need to run for compatibility with the rest of the planet. Some of the GUI rendering speed can be a bit slow but it works just fine and keeps me from having to boot back and forth between OSes.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Guest ba747heavy

Peter,Thanks for that explanation. Which WineX do you run? The free version, or the pay version?And I have to ask, what is your fav distro?Put my vote in for Slackware 9.0!!