Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Why Does Pressing F1 Freeze My Screen?

Quite often, (though not at all always), I get the following problem upon landing (in big jets): I have cut off A/T, F/D, and finally AP before touchdown. Autobrakes are set and the spoilers are armed. Once I touch down, I engage reverse thrust (F2). All's fine until I cut engines to idle (F1), when FS9 immediately freezes up. The engine sounds still continue, but nothing moves. I just occasionally manage to free things up by one means or another, but usually I don't get to taxi to the stand, I just have to shut down FS. Very frustrating!Pressing F1 at other times is fine, the problem only ever occurs after touchdown.Anyone else ever had this happen? I've not seen it mentioned before so am not hopeful of getting it sorted, but who knows?!Thanks,Martin

Guest lgvpilot1

Just curious What happens if you remap thrust idle to another key or to your joystick or yoke?Mark

Hmm, not tried that. I have F1 mapped to my Saitek X52 (though I can still get the freeze-ip if I press F1 on the keyboard, so the joystick (sorry, "Flight Control System"!) is not the problem in itself.I'll choose some other key to replace F1 and see what happens. May take some days to report back, as I don't always get the rror in any case (as I indicated).Thanks,Martin

Guest lgvpilot1

Got the same "flight control system" myself!You have'nt by chance got a keyboard with other settings for the function keys have you I have a pos keyboard where with an accidental press of a multimedia button , instead of full throttle or afterburners I get a new document or open my favourites !!it has caught me a few times Just a thought Mark

No, F1 is F1 is F1 on my keyboard (as far as I know!). I've changed the assignemnt to Shift+F2 and changed the Saitek too. I'll post back when I get a result..M. :-)

Well I've flown quite a few flights over the last month, and with 'cut engines' as Shift+F2, and that mapped to my X52, I have had no freeze-ups at all since. Of course I am tempting fate by putting that down in writing here, but it seems like this has fixed the problem. (Not that I see why changing the function key like that should make the least bit of difference, but no matter!),Martin :-)

I think what is happening is that the F1 commands are contradicting themselves.When you are hitting F1 to go to idle, I think Windows is trying to load the help application (since F1 is the standard Windows command for help).

Yes, could be - though as the focus is on FS that shouldn't really happen; but in the Wonderful World of Windows anything's possible of course. Well, seems OK with the changed assignemnt, as I say!M.