Sign in to follow this  

Why was Meigis Choosen anyway?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Cpt_Simoty,I assume you're wondering why Microsoft chose the Meigs field in Chicago for the default starting point. If so, here's my opinion:If you'll notice, the runway heads almost due North and South. The streets in Chicago also run that way. It is always easy to fly the 'cardinal' compass points of N/S and E/W. Then there's the lake on one side and land on the other. All those things go toward making it almost impossible for a novice to loose his/her orientation. One almost always knows where the field is after taking off and after flying around a bit, you can't miss the lake. Regards, John

"Why was Meigis (sic) Choosen (sic) anyway," you ask? Chosen for what? o Destruction? Because the Mayor doesn't want it there, I suppose.o For the default Flight Simulator starting point? Because when Bruce Artwick released the first SubLogic Flight Simulators, the only VFR area was up I-57 from Champaign/Urbana Illinois (the home of SubLogic) to Chicago. And the logical GA airport seemed to be Meigs. At least that's how I remember it being when I first got Flight Simulator II for my Commodore 64. R-

Thanks for your info on history! For "why" it went bye-bye, try www.aopa.org [Cleveland's Burke is still safe...a suitable replacement for sims, I suggest. Disclaimer: I live in Ohio.]

Also because if I remember correctly, Bruce Artwick took his first flying lessons at Meigs.

contrary to your suggestion, Meigs was not a field for novice pilots. The airport is almost always subject to strong cross winds because of its proximity to Lake Michigan. Real life landings often required a strong crab to deal with the cross winds encountered on approach. And, many days, Meigs was simply shut down because of weather that would not be a factor at any other Chicago airport.Sherm

*Scratching my head*We're talking about Flight Sim. aren't we? No one said anything about weather, which in any event could be easily adjusted in Flight Sim.

My thoughts on this:I really don't use Meigs on FS anyway, so from a strictly SIMMING point of view, I'm sure I'll live. Seems like it's become this "cult" airport because of FS which always confused me a bit anyway?It's a shame that it's gone, but in the big picture, if I lived in Chicago and had a choice of a small airport to go planespotting OR a beautiful lakeside park to take my daughter to enjoy, I think I'd pick the park every time. The average person will get much more enjoyment out of the park I would imagine.Not that I think the good Mayor did this for the "family" reasons :)-steve

People don't seem to see how much park there really is right near Meigs. I dont know the specifics, but someone once told me that there are miles of park. Gov. Daley obviously has no honor in his word. Tadd Garcia